Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Audity
Journeyman III

Weird idle boost/vcore behavior on Ryzen 5 3600

Hi all,

To preface this, while I am aware that Ryzen tends to have higher reported temps during idle/lightly threaded workloads, I believe my current idle frequency/vcore/temps are a little too high for comfort.

Here are some details for reference:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus ROG STRIX B550i GAMING
Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX 240mm AIO
2xCorsair LL120 120mm Chassis Fan (mounted in push as front intake)
Chipset version 4.06.10.651
BIOS version 2803
Ryzen Balanced Power Plan

I recently updated my chipset drivers and BIOS and after using my PC for a few days, I noticed that my fans are running considerably louder. Ryzen Master was reporting that my CPU was running 4GHz @ 1.43v following a full system reboot. This results in an idle temp of 58 degrees with a 240mm AIO, which I think is far too high, especially seeing that this exact same build was idling at ~45 degrees with the exact same settings a week ago. Additionally, my AIO fans are spinning considerably faster than before, and my coolant is around 35 degrees.

I attempted to make some changes in my BIOS to reduce temps, but nothing really seemed to make a difference. I even completely reset my BIOS settings to default, only changing a few things unrelated to CPU performance and I got the same temps/clocks/vcore as I did when running with PBO enabled.

Screengrab of RM at idle - no background processes except for Radeon Software and waited for temps to stabilize:

image.png

You can see here that none of the cores are sleeping for some reason despite no foreground apps and minimal background processes (~1% CPU usage), and the most powerful core in CCX 0 is boosting to 4GHz seemingly for no reason.

Is this an issue with the chipset or BIOS? Or is it something else entirely? I am at a loss on what to check after spending about 4 hours troubleshooting today.

Looking for any tips or guidance, thanks!

R5 3600 | RX 5700XT
4 Replies
Perx
Journeyman III

Happened to me today when i reinstalled windows, i have the same cpu, after reinstalling windows it went up to 4ghz, even in idle.

I fixed it going to the bios and turning off the turbo boost option.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Doing this can work, but the problem with it is your CPU will nolonger hit its rated boost speeds and will not go over the base clock speed of the processor. This will make a significant impact on performance. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

i did a stress test and it was completely, even while gaming it didnt do anything weird, i will turn it off until i find a new solution, or buy a new cpu or cooler.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Audity, somebody, probably Windows gave the processor work to do and Ryzen went after it. Please post a screenshot of the task manager sorted on CPU so we can see what it is.  Thanks, John.