Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

qbtheslayer
Challenger

Re: Water cooled 5900x temperatures

Jump to solution

Side fan should be intake...  I have never seen a side exhaust be effective.

QB

thansen56
Adept II

Jump to solution

I switched the CPU cooler to the EVO 212 V2 with push fan rear facing.    As part of the switch, I checked existing contact patch on the CPU and it looks good (thermal compound was evenly distributed).   With the EVO, I now have idle temperatures in the 30's and while running benchmark I only reach 72 degrees C.  No more 90 degree spikes.   My plan is to RMA the MSI AIO and see what happens.  Honestly not sure I will switch back to an AIO, but doubtful I will ever switch back to the MSI unless there is some description of a clear defect.  If not, I will add top mounted case fans blowing OUT which were present with my previous MB in this case.  I will also verify that my side mounted case fans are BOTH blowing IN as recommended.  I know the one behind the MB is; not sure about the other one.

Here is my contact picture:
thermal_paste.png

Here is my idle view from ryzen master:

evo_idle.png

So thanks everyone for the input and I believe we have identified the issue: the MSI AIO.

Sunni
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hey, 

So I have a similar situation and I just wanted to check in that thats still the case?  You didn't swap back to an AIO with any luck?  Would you mind posting a HW info that was just idle-light stuff over the course of 30 mins to see what your averages are.  So my situation:  I have a 5900x and 3080 in a Lian Li 011 Mini.  Case has 6 intake fans and 2 exhaust, and cpu has an EK 240 AIO.  These are my temps with some moderate usage over an hour or so:

(by moderate usage I mean having a handful of tabs open, few streams up, second desktop with some light school work up, discord, hwinfo - no games)

Sunni_0-1643622357882.png

So, I've been worrying for months that my temps seem high, but I've seen way worse on  numerous forums and everyone just gives ya the old "its not thermal throttling..its under well under max".  Ambient temp is about 20C.  I repasted the thing 2 times out of paranoia.  So my question is are your temps holding true for 30C TCTL/TDIE and staying that amount lower under light loads/idle etc...tldr is it worth swapping to an air cooler.  I do know a good air cooler is only slightly less efficient as say a good 240 aio but 20C, kinda seems like something else is going on.  Just to clarify, pbo on, slight undervolted via scalar...basically a -10  all core as I was having some BSODS with increased drops on the higher cores.  Can you/would you mind posting your hwinfo for replicating light work for around the same time.  Thanks in  advance either way.  Also,  just to add, I'm never thermal throttling or going above high 70s under load,  maybe getting to low 80s at worst but yea just seems a little hot if your saying your getting your consistent idle down to 30/sub 30 tctl/tdie.

0 Likes
DRDOS
Adept III

Jump to solution

I'll just remind what already written before (here or in another related threads).

When i compared REAL temperature taken from CPU lid by an external temperature measurement devices, it was 20-30 Celsius degrees lower than what was reported in BIOS and in software tools. This difference depended on the temperature: higher is the temperature - higher is the difference.

I don't think such a high thermal resistance between the CPU die and the lid takes place, especially that another thermal sensors (e.g. iGPU sensor in G-versions CPU's) returns very correct temperature value that completely suits to what external measurement devices showed on their display (when i did that comparison).

Such a huge difference would be normal if you measure a temperature not on the CPU lid surface, but on the motherboard surface under the CPU Socket.
Exactly such situation we had over than 20 years ago with a Socket-A motherboards which used a thermal resistor mounted on the motherboard itself under the CPU socket, instead of integrated on-die thermal diode in the CPU (those CPU's had it already, by the way). IIRC, a difference between the temperature from that on-board and on-die sensors was somewhat in a range of about 20-30 Celsius degrees (depending on the on-board sensor implementation and else factors...).

Well, here we have seen at least 2 another reasons of too high CPU temperatures:
1. Defective/broken cooling system;
2. CPU hardware failure.
So, incorrect values of reported temperature is not necessarily the case. Just keep this in mind that such a case is also possible.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

@Sunni 

Your processor's maximum operating temperature is 90c. So if the temperature (tctl/tdie) doesn't go above 80c at any loads you have no problems. Your CPU cooler is doing a very good job of keeping the processor cool.

It might spike above 80c or even 90c in certain situations but if it is just a very short term spike that isn't a problem. You processor was engineered to work at a maximum 90c temperature. Once it reaches 90c or above the processor will automatically start to throttle or slow down to keep the temperature at 90c or below.

I would use Ryzen Master to verify any temperatures reading you have with other monitoring software.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

add the following statement to my edited reply:

Screenshot 2022-01-30 171510.png

unable to get past the "Highlighted" error just for inputting one sentence in my edited reply.

0 Likes
Sunni
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

@elstaci 

I understand everything that you said.  I even said in my post that "I've seen everywhere on tons of threads of people asking similar type questions to gauge such as  "what their cpu should be running at with similar cooler, ambient, etc" and that most people will give nearly the exact answer you did, lol.

Thanks for trying, but me saying that in my original was to avoid that.  I'm someone who's last PC was an OC'd 6700k/gtx1080 and was used to much lower temps, and was trying to get ballpark what others are seeing with 240/280/360 AIOs and setups.  I know the chip isn't going to deal damage to itself, I realize they have countermeasures that if it gets that hot it will stop prior or ramp down prior, but I was looking for "What temps should I be getting given my info"  not if it was an issue or not.  I know its a non issue even what my PC is running at now.  I mean **bleep**, during most games its not breaking 80C, but I truly thought it should be lower is my point.

That said, I said what pc I was coming off of, I know Ryzen runs much hotter, I know the cpu is a higher watt cpu off the bat but yea, I was wondering what others are seeing bc the OP also thought this range was a bit high.

0 Likes