cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Sajjidwajjid
Journeyman III

Using AMD CPU for Tizen Emulator?

I want to use Tizen Emulator to debug my wearable app. After looking into old posts, I found someone who said it would be possible but slow. At the beginning, I was stuck in the boot screen (I guess it is the boot screen).

stuck in boot up

C0ReD.png

Then I thought it would be a good idea to update my Tizen Emulator and download a newer image of my smart watch firmware. After that, I cannot even start the emulation, because it says "Failed to launch emulator: w-0521-1 Your system cannot support HW virtualization. Try install KVM (ubuntu) or HAX (windows or Max)"

error message

2amd.png

What I tried:

1. Enabled CPU virtualization in BIOS
  2. Enabled Hyper-V in Windows-Features Source
  3. Tried to start with GPU in "HW Support"
  4. Tried to enable CP VT in "HW Support" but isn't possible for the same reasons it doesn't start the emulation at the first place.

So finally my question: Is there a way to use the Tizen Emulator with my AMD CPU or do I have to continue using my watch?

0 Likes
1 Reply

Someone who knows how to program Linux OS might be able to assist you. 

But it is pretty neat seeing your computer screen show up on your watch. Didn't know that was possible.

But from what you said when you updated your emulator, your Emulator new version looks like it has some stricter requirements then the old previous version you had before.

I went to Tizen Emulator Developer's website and found out what your error means: https://developer.tizen.org/development/tizen-studio/web-tools/running-and-testing-your-app/emulator

Increasing the Application Execution Speed

The Tizen x86 Emulator exploits KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine in Linux) or HAX (Hardware Accelerated eXecution in Windows® and macOS) with HW virtualization support.

If the CPU VT is disabled in the Emulator Configuration view on the Emulator Manager, check the following prerequisites and install KVM or HAX:

1. Prerequisites for using HW virtualization:
    • In Ubuntu:

To use KVM, you need a processor that supports HW virtualization. Both Intel and AMD have developed those extensions for their processors (Intel VT-x/AMD-V). Check whether the CPU supports HW virtualization with the following command:

$egrep -c '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

If the output of the command is 0, the CPU does not support HW virtualization. Otherwise, it does.

The HW virtualization feature can also be disabled on the BIOS setting. Check the setting and enable it if you need the feature.

• In Windows®:

To use HAX, you need an Intel VT-x-supported CPU, and you must enable the NX-related setting in the PC BIOS.

• In macOS:

To use HAX, install EFI-related updates on your Intel-based Mac computer.

For more information, see EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers.

2. Installing KVM or HAX:
    • In Ubuntu:

No installation is required for KVM.

• In Windows® and macOS:

The HAXM driver is installed during the Tizen Studio installation. For more information on installing HAXM, see Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager.

NoteIf the installation fails with a VT-related message, check the CPU feature and BIOS settings. If the installation fails with an NX-related message, enable NX (or PAE and DEP) -related item in the BIOS. In addition, make sure that the operating system supports the NX feature (for more information, see MSDN).

No configuration is required for KVM or HAX.

0 Likes