cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Dudealicious
Journeyman III

Upgrade 5900X to latest greatest...

Hello all.  I'm a video editor by trade and was forced to purchase my own rig thanks to the pandemic.  For my entire career I've always used whatever the production provided for me and now since everything is work from home I'm using my own gear which has been great.

Back in late 2020 sourcing video cards was a challenge.  You just couldn't get them anywhere so I went the route of buying a prebuilt system.  I imagine this system was originally designed for gaming but I use it to cut a whole bunch of TV shows and it works great.  But, lately I discovered from other editors that my 1-hour exports take twice as long as those using the Mac M1 or M2 processors.

I purchased a prebuilt from Digital Storm.  The Aventum X.  It's a very big unit but I need the drive space.  I didn't go fully liquid because I didn't want to deal with all the maintenance.  The processor I believe is attached to a sealed liquid system.  There are, however, 11 fans all around this thing.  And no shortage of neon lights.

Specs:  AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 3.70 GHz

NVIDIA 3080 10GB

My question is would upgrading the processor be a simple plug-and-play install?

I was thinking of replacing with a 7950x or 7950x3d

Can you think of any benefit one might have over the other for video editing?

Will there be any potential problems?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

5 Replies
eebiii
Forerunner

You would have to replace the motherboard and memory also. You would be going from AM4 to AM5 chipset. There would be huge benefits to making this jump to AM5. Just might cost a little more than you were planning.

I appreciate the info.
The parts have been ordered.  Seems pretty straight forward to install.  The way I see it is I can subsidize the cost by reselling the old bits.  And since this is a work machine, I can write it off at the end of the year.

Newegg had a pretty decent sale last weekend.

I grabbed an X670E to house my new 7950X3D processor and 4 sticks of 32GB RAM.

Is that pretty much all I need to get me up and running?

Current fans and existing 1200 Watt power supply should be sufficient?

Also, will the CPU cooler fit over the new processor with no issues?  Any different mounting brackets needed since it's now an AM5?

Thanks again

Current coolerCurrent cooler

If you can ID the cooler, you can confirm CPU compatibility on the manufacturer's site.

You'll want to check your motherboard's QVL list for RAM/memory and verify your kit is supported. From what I understand, AM5 is particular about RAM, especially 4 sticks.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes
eebiii
Forerunner

I am not 100% on this but I think the AM4 blocks will fit on most AM5. You may want to double check that but I think it should be fine. 

I am running the X670e tomahawk and its great! Love that you went with the 7950X3D chip. I have the 7800X3D but am looking to upgrade to your chip when I can.

Power Supply is perfect. 

I think your good to go. Just pick up some of the little things like compressed air, thermal paste, etc.. but you p[rob already have that figured in. 

Show some pics when you get it setup.

0 Likes
tanazzz
Adept III

Why are you exporting with the CPU? Most modern video editing software encodes using the GPU. If you're using Adobe Premiere or DaVinci Resolve you can simply use your GPU's encoder (which is very good on 3000 series) and speed up your exporting by A LOT.

0 Likes