cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Hardwood
Paragon

To CSM or Not to CSM

Due to some previous startup issues, I'm a little apprehensive about this upcoming hardware change.

I'm about to upgrade my trusty RX580 with a 6700. Really good price for ASrock 6700 at Newegg right now.

My mobo, an ASUS X570 needs CSM turned on to  successfully boot (with setup/splash screen available) the RX580, and it works perfectly right now.

SO:

I will use DDU to remove drivers and shutdown.

Change vid cards

Startup and Turn OFF CSM or leave it ON?

Thanks for any suggestions.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes
1 Solution
CaligoVereor
Challenger

If the CSM is on then you won't be able to turn on SAM (aka ReBAR). The tricky part was that with CSM off my PC wouldn't boot into windows so turned out I had to convert my memory drive to a different partition type, might be the case for you too.
In case you don't care about resizable bar you can just have CSM on, it shouldn't matter for the 6700 itself.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
CaligoVereor
Challenger

If the CSM is on then you won't be able to turn on SAM (aka ReBAR). The tricky part was that with CSM off my PC wouldn't boot into windows so turned out I had to convert my memory drive to a different partition type, might be the case for you too.
In case you don't care about resizable bar you can just have CSM on, it shouldn't matter for the 6700 itself.

0 Likes
Hardwood
Paragon

Good info. I just checked and my C: is GPT so that's one less thing to consider.

Until just now I didn't know what SAM/ReBar was. Thanks for mentioning it.

Apparently at this point in time it's not all that useful but that may change so I'll disable the CSM and see if I can find the SAM setting and enable that and the 4G encoding.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB