Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Murph2111
Journeyman III

Throttling CPU only on first boot

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

MOBO: ASRock X370 Fatal1ty ITX

BIOS: started with 6.0, downgraded all the way down to 5.60 and now upgraded all the way to 7.40

The symptom is the CPU will down clock/throttle itself down to 0.54ghz on every cold boot. When I restart the PC it will function as normal at 3 GHz. I have tried to overclock at 3.8ghz.1.31v just to see if that changes anything, it did not. I have tried to clear cmos and load optimized defaults - that changed nothing. I have tried to reinstall Windows a few times. Same result.

I have tired the x370 chip set drivers from the ASRock website, and I have also tried the latest ones directly from AMD. Currently the ones installed are v6.05

I have read online to install Ryzen Master utility and disable procot (or something like that) and I have done this and it does work. But this seems like more of a band-aid type fix that I am not comfortable with. I would much rather learn what the actual issue is and try to resolve it.

I have reseated ram and CPU and repasted also with artic silver compound. I'm using a tower styled heatsink cooler and the CPU temperature according to the bios, speccy, and cpuid hwmonitor, all report less that 40c. When I use CPU-Z to stress test the CPU I see the temp go up to 60c but never higher.

I'm leaning towards a defective motherboard but I would like to actually rule that out of possible before I just replace it. It's an smaller itx board and a replacement is costly.

0 Likes
1 Reply
misterj
Big Boss

Murph2111, I strongly advise not to disable PROCHOT. This voids the warranty and if your processor overheats it simply burns up. Do not get AMD drivers from the MB vendor, only AMD. What makes you think the processor is throttling, 5.4 MHz is a defect not throttling? Please stay out of BIOS and talk to your MB vendor about an RMA. I am curious how you got W11 to install on that old processor. John.

0 Likes