Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

ThreadRipper 2950x 90 Degrees Air and AIO

I have a Threadripper 2950x and the mobo is the Gigabyte x399 Desginare ex. I have tried an enermax liqtech ii 280 aio and the amd coorsair wraith ripper and one is air cooled one is a liquid aio and my temps are 90 Degrees Celsius when Idle. I have tried many things and i cant reach the 35-40 Degrees at Idle no matter what I do. Can anyone Help me figure out why. There should be no reason I am 90 degrees Celcius when Idle.

This is a brand new system I just built so all parts are brand new

16 Replies
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: ThreadRipper 2950x 90 Degrees Air and AIO

zyryte91, what you posted is not possible since the maximum temperature for your 2950X is 68C and it would have powered down already.  Please check the specification for AMD and use the only reliable utility, also from AMD - Ryzen Master (RM).

Max Temps:68°C

Please post a screenshot of RM - simply drag-n-drop your image into reply.  And please post all your parts.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

If that temp you are getting is legit and those are new parts, then I would quickly exchange that CPU, and if you have the same thing happen again then it is likely a MB reporting issue. That CPU as already stated should not go beyond 68c. 

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

pokester, those temperature do not count unless they come from Ryzen Master.  It is premature to suggest the user RMA the processor.  HWMonitor is known for bad readings!  Enjoy, John.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

First thing I said "If that temp you are getting is legit ". 

When Zen 2 came out many utilities did not report temp correctly. To my knowledge and it certainly does on my system that has long ago been fixed with updates. HWINF CPUz/CPUID and Ryzen Master all report identically. So you feel free to use whatever you are comfortable with. I do agree it would be very wise to also check it with Ryzen Master. If HWINFO isn't reading the same for you then I highly recommend you update the app. 

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Ryzen master shows 41 while shows PTC is 95, I'm not sure what PTC isPTC High.jpg

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

just looked it up, so HWMonitor is showing point for thermal throttle as the CPU temp, so my cpu is actually at 42 wow, thank you guys helped a lot

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

You must have been looking at the info page and not the sensor status page.  You can set sensor status to run on startup by clicking settings. The current CPU temps are then about half way down the list. 

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Thanks,    zyryte91.  I do not know what PTC is except WRONG!  Please search for Robert Hallock's (AMD technical spokesman) article on these free monitors.  Some of them jazz the the processor to stir up some activity.  A post here the other day, I think by AMDMatt, pointed to Robert's article saying one monitor, jazzed the processor as often as every 200 milliseconds for 20 milliseconds.  The best advice is use RM and and no other and NEVER use more that one at a time.  Enjoy, John 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

PTC is the Maximum Operating Temperature of your processor when it will start to throttle. Your Processor's Max. Oper. Temp is 95C so your PTC is 95C.