cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

5ft24dave
Adept I

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut removal

Has anyone been able to remove this from a CPU for warranty returns?  System was getting sluggish, so I rebooted and it wouldn't come back, not even POST.  Dropped the Girlfriends Ryzen 7 1800x in and it booted fine.  Put my Ryzen9 3950x back in and nothing.  On my Ryzen9, the conductonaut is actually hardened in a couple places.  rubbing isn't working at getting it off, and I don't want to use scotchbrite or ultra fine sandpaper, as any damage to the writing on the CPU voids warranty.  A couple posts said to wipe it down with Hydrochloric acid... yeah... no.  found a youtube vid that showed using Turtle Wax polishing compound... that didn't touch it either...

Kind of upset that this product did this, and if AMD doesn't warranty my processor because of it, what are the chances of getting Thermal Grizzly to cover the cost of my processor...  Grrr...

0 Likes
7 Replies

Are you able to clearly read all the data (Serial Number and Model Number) that is printed on the CPU lid?

If so then I believe it shouldn't be a problem with the AMD Warranty.

Metallic Thermal paste shouldn't void your AMD Warranty unless it shorted out the CPU when you installed it (Customer Error). This can happen when some of the metallic Thermal paste oozes on to the CPU pins shortening out the CPU.

Metallic Thermal paste is electrically conductive unlike Non-Metallic Thermal paste which doesn't conduct electricity.

If the Serial Number or Model Number or both are unreadable due to the hardened Metallic Thermal paste I suggest you open a Support ticket with the manufacturer of the Metallic Thermal Paste and see if they have a product to remove old paste or suggest how to remove old paste from your CPU.

You also can open a AMD Service Request - Warranty (Official AMD SUPPORT) and let them know your concerns.

NOTE: I don't believe you will win any claim against the Metallic Thermal paste manufacturer. I bet in small print somewhere they mention the effects of their product on the CPU casing and not being liable.

0 Likes

this is the liquid metal, not a paste.  I can read most of it, but some is covered by spots that I can't get it off without feeling like I may scratch it.  Several youtube videos show using 4% hydrochloric acid and wiping it down to dissolve the liquid metal.  Thermal Grizzly sells a remover designed for their paste products, and it says it can help remove the liquid metal... but 20 bucks and 3 weeks for delivery isn't going to cut it.  I use my PC for work and school, and now just have my phone (Which won't work for either)... 

0 Likes

"this is the liquid metal, not a paste" - The liquid metal comes out like a paste doesn't it?

The point is moot anyways,

Here is AMD "Processor in a Box" Warranty: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

Screenshot 2021-03-14 081041.png

From what is mentioned above it doesn't mention anything about the condition of the CPU surface where the Serial Number and Model number are printed. It just mentions all you need is the Serial Number from the Retail Box.

I believe that AMD Warranty request close-up photos of the CPU surface and pins before deciding whether to RMA the processor. But not sure about that. Just what other Users have mentioned about what AMD required from them to RMA the processor.

My personal opinion is that TIM Liquid Metal will not void your AMD Warranty UNLESS it shorted out or physically damaged the CPU from working when you install the CPU Cooler and it oozed out shorting out the processor or motherboard.

In the future, I would avoid Liquid Metal since today's regular high quality Non-conductive Thermal pastes are just as efficient and safer to use.

0 Likes

Actually comes out as a liquid, looks like mercury,  but if they don't care about seeing the lid, I still have the original box with serial etc on it.  Hopefully they'll accept it.

Thanks

So you use a brush to paint the liquid Metal on the surface of the CPU?

I am just asking because I never have used Liquid Metal and from what I read it comes out like a paste. The only difference is that the paste contains metallic particles instead of other non-metallic heat transferring particles in regular Thermal pastes.

Anyways, I fairly confident that AMD will honor the Warranty on your CPU. I am sure AMD has received many processors with damaged or discolored lids due to Liquid Metal applications and still honored the Warranty. just guessing on my part.

None of the Liquid Metal oozed out on the motherboard socket when you installed the CPU Cooler correct?. If it didn't then you should be okay in my opinion since the processor wasn't shorted out by the liquid metal.

Good luck in RMAing your processor.

EDIT: if you should create deep scratches on the lid while trying to remove the old Liquid Metal that could void your Warranty. Since deep scratches could prevent efficient heat transfer to the CPU Cooler heatsink and that could be considered to be Customer error in my opinion.

0 Likes

No particles, it's a gallium/indium/tin alloy that is liquid at room temps.  You put a drop the size of the head of a pin on the center of the CPU and base of heatsink, and you take a rubber tip q-tip they supply and rub it around until the surface of each is shiny and looks "wet".  Then you put the heatsink on the CPU and off you go.  What they do not tell you, is the gallium seperates out in the presence of copper and bonds to the copper... Leaving the gap with only an indium/tin alloy.  The Gallium is what made it liquid at room temps.  So now it left areas where it is hard on the heatsink and CPU lid.  I can lap the water block, but the CPU I can't without destroying the 2d code and the model, batch, serial numbers.

I had some left, so put it on the CPU and it softened some of the residual stuff a bit, but not enough.

Here is a link to the stuff and a pic of a drop on the CPU.  Looks and acts just like liquid mercury

0 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I always thought that Liquid Metal came in paste form.

From what I have read, Liquid Metal is a little bit more efficient than regular Thermal paste but not by much.

It is safer to use a high quality Thermal paste since it won't short anything out if it spills out to the side of the CPU nor will it damage the CPU casing.

Liquid Metal though has been known to discolor or actually damage the CPU casing.

Anyways, Good luck on your RMA request. Also update this thread if AMD refuses or accepts the RMA so other Users will know what to expect when using Liquid Metal in Warranty cases.

0 Likes