cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Alpassasin
Adept I

System can't boot past BIOS with any Ryzen 5

My system crashed about 4 months ago and since then I can't boot into any OS with Ryzen 5 processors. Screen freezes after a couple of second. I tried reinstalling windows, booting into a ubuntu usb, and even windows installation usb freezes. I tried 2 rma'd cpus and one brand new 5600x cpu.

My motherboard is Msi b450 Gaming Plus Max. I even got a brand new motherboard. I can only use the computer with an Athlon 3000g.

Edit for extra information:

System worked with no problems for about a year before the crash.

I also tried booing with a different gpu.

System specs are:

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT gpu

Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 80+ psu(new)

Msi B450 Gaming Plus Max motherboard(new)

2x Corsair Vengeance Lpx 3000MHz DDR4 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Alpassasin
Adept I

Changing the motherboard fixed the problem. I still can't understand how the same motherboard can be used with no issues with one cpu but fails completely with another cpu. But at least it's fixed, my 4 month long journey is over. Thanks to everyone who replied.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
EFermi
Miniboss

Have you tested your RAM? 

0 Likes

Yes, I ran memtest thrice overnight, with both sticks and with individual sticks. Also the system works completely fine with Athlon 3000g.

0 Likes

Now that's a problem that would make one scratch their head. Considering you already replaced most hardware, I'm out of ideas. 

0 Likes
caleb_cruze
Adept II

Disconnect all the peripherals; hard drives, sound card, cd drive, etc... boot it off just the CPU, fans, and one memory stick. If it boots and lets you into the BIOS, then shut down and add one component at a time until you find the culprit. if it still does not let you in the BIOS, try resetting it.

A corrupted motherboard BIOS can occur for various reasons. The most common reason why it happens is due to a failed flash if a BIOS update was interrupted. After you are able to boot into your operating system, you can then fix the corrupted BIOS by using the “Hot Flash” method.

Regards,
Caleb

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply Caleb.

I am able to get to BIOS just fine with all the cpus. My problem is that I can't get into any OS.

I have flashed my BIOS successfully. I even redownloaded and reflashed the same version thinking maybe something went wrong somewhere. Still the same issue.

My system is working fine with my Athlon 3000g card. If something other than cpu was faulty then wouldn't I have the same problem with an older cpu?

0 Likes
delevero
Adept III

it sound like a hardware failure OR that your cpu cable or cpu cooler might be defective.
If a computer do not get a signal from the cpu power cable then it wont boot or post anything.
Also if the power cable is missing from the graphics card it also wont boot.
If you have a USB hub then remove it, personaly i have a silver one that if i insert a usb key in it then my computer wont boot.
( try to boot only with keyboard and mouse connected and nothing els.

try to turn off XMP for your ram in bios so it run at slow stock speed and see if that help.
Try to flash bios back to an older version ( example from september 2020 )
You need to flash the bios from bios and NOT from windows its always the best way.

Try tro remove one or your RAM sticks..  Be aware that you maybe have to move one stick inbetween the 4 ram slots until it want to boot. see if this help you startup your pc.
If that dosent help then switch ram and see if that help.
- basicly what this will do is testing if one ram stick is defective or not.

Check if the motherboard or harddisks are touching the metal computer case and creating a short.
Check if your cpu mounting bracket is touching any other componments on the motherboards ( the round ones near the cpu called capacitators )  also check if it touches the top m.2 nvme harddisk if you have one.

Another issue that will make your pc shut dowwn is if the cooling fail.. check if the cpu fan is spinning and the power cable is connected correctly.. if its not it will shut down or dont want to boot the pc.
If you have an AIO water cooling system for your cpu then check both cables one for cpu and one for cpu opt is connected.
The small fan on the motherboard that cool the chip first turn on at about 50 or 55c so if its not spinning then that is normal

check that your ram is inserted 100%.. maybe take them out and put them in again.
Remove your graphics card and insert it again and check that its locked.
Try to connect two power cables from the PSU/power supply to the graphic card.
Try to install two power cables 4 and 8 pin to the top of your motherboard.
Try to reset the CMOS on the motherboard by shorting two pints with a screwdriver. ( to reset bios ) you properbly have to do this when you switch cpu.

Maybe your computer case is defective... Try to remove   the tiny power on/off cable and reset cable.
Maybe turn on the computer and remove the power on/off cable and see if it crash or not.. it would be a defective button that send ghost signals.
Check that yourp ower cable, hdmi/display port cables are 100% inserted ALSO in the back of the monitor

Finaly try to insert your windows usb key and when the installation of windows launches ( on first page ) click on repair pc and somehwere you can get into a command prompt/dos.. Try to type in the command to make a diagnose scan of your ram to check if they are okay or have faliures.
Also you could check your harddisk for failures.

Well its the ideas i had maybe some can help you.

0 Likes

Thanks for the detailed answer delevero. I have tested most of them and these are the results:

(I will be referring 5600x and 3600 cpus as "new cpus". "old cpu" is Athlon 3000g)

I can use the system fine with Athlon, but when I swap the cpus I can't boot into OS.

XMP profile was off for the rams each time I tried to boot with new cpus.

I double checked all my power connections.

I flashed back the bios a few versions back, my 3600 still doesn't boot. I can't try for 5600x since only the latest versions supports it.

I always updated my bios from the bios menu.

I already tested each ram individually, on each of the slots using Memtest64 and just standard usage in general(Using working Athlon cpu).

During testing rams I found that I can run Memtest64 fine with new cpus.

I didn't think there was a short in my case considering the system works with another cpu, but I went ahead and built it outside of the case on top of cardboard boxes and still the same issue.

I can see the cpu temps in bios and they are below 35C degrees. I have tried with 2 different cpu coolers and tried them at auto and max speeds. They do work when sitting at bios with new cards.

I have air coolers so no AIO.

I disconnected all the storage units and tried to boot into ubuntu usb and still the same problem.

I always reseted the CMOS when installing different cpus.

I only have a 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors on my motherboard and they are all properly connected.

I shorted the power pins to start the computer when I built it outside of the case so it's not the case switches either.

I can't even use the usb installer with new cpus. The computer just freezes after a few seconds. Same with when Windows tries to run "Automatic Repair". I ran the diagnostic commands using the old cpu and no errors were found.

At this point I have no clue what could my problem be. Maybe the motherboard is faulty in a way that can't run Ryzen 5 cpus but can run the older gen cpu? Maybe the cpu power cable is faulty and can't supply the required voltage that is higher than my old cpu? Everything works fine with old cpu but can't even boot into any OS with new cpus.

I will try with a brand new and higher model motherboard and hope that is the solution. Thanks again for the detailed help. I will update this post when that arrives.

0 Likes
Alpassasin
Adept I

Changing the motherboard fixed the problem. I still can't understand how the same motherboard can be used with no issues with one cpu but fails completely with another cpu. But at least it's fixed, my 4 month long journey is over. Thanks to everyone who replied.

0 Likes