cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Bl00df4rt
Journeyman III

System Blue Screens in SteamVR with Whea Uncorrectable_Error after installing Ryzen 9 5900X

Hi, I've been running into some issues with SteamVR after installing my new Ryzen 9 5900X processor. My system will remain normal while in SteamVR playing any games like SkyrimVR, Blade and Sorcery, or Half-Life Alyx, but after about 40-60 minutes, my system will crash with the BSOD code Whea Uncorrectable_Error. At first, my system was on Windows 11, so I downgraded to Windows 10, which didn't fix the issue. I have also tried wiping my entire drive and installing Windows 10 again, but this didn't make a difference.
I have used the CMOS button on my Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master board to reset my bios because it previously had to be underclocked due to my cooler not being strong enough to cool my processor down at the time (during which my system never blue screened). I bought this CPU and Board as a replacement without much thought and I had Best Buy put it together at Geek Squad after my previous board had failed. My computer, when doing anything else that is not related to SteamVR, is perfectly fine and will only crash once I get into VR with Whea Uncorrectable_Error. I have ensured that I have the latest Bios, which has made no difference. I have run stress tests on my processor with Prime95, which had detected no issues in any of the 12 cores and there don't seem to be any temperature problems either. I have also looked online and found a few stories of people having problems with AMD software and VR, but even after downgrading to 2021 drivers, my system will still crash. I do not know what Geek Squad exactly did to my CPU, but I did notice that 6 of my 12 cores were inactive while I was in Ryzen Master. Assuming that was the problem, I started MS Config and unchecked the "Number of Processors" box, which made the other 12 appear. This made no difference; they undervolted my CPU so that it would not get too hot under my old stealth cooler that AMD packages with some of their CPUs. During this time I experienced no Blue Screens, so I am wondering if I have to tweak with my voltage settings or something. 

I'm wondering if there's something that I'm missing when it comes to the 5900x and SteamVR as I've done everything I can to make sure that it is running at stock settings, but it seems that this has led to my system crashing whenever I get into VR. When I replaced my cooler, reset my BIOS, downloaded the latest X570 chipsets, and ensured that the CPU was running at factory settings and not undervolted/underclocked, this is when it started crashing in VR. 

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 
GPU: AMD RX 6700XT (Reference)
PSU: EVGA 600 BR (600 Watts)
Storage Device: Crucial - P3 1TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe
RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series (Each stick is 8 GB)
Board: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master (Current BIOS is F5a, most recent)
VR: Valve Index (I have my Refresh Rate set to 120 Hz)

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time. 

0 Likes
0 Replies