cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

scrubturkey
Journeyman III

Re: Swapping stock cooler ripped out CPU

I tried to remove factory amd cooler from ryzen 2400 after 9 months of use.  I ended up pulling the cpu out of the socket.  There was no way the cpu was going to twist off etc without damaging it in the process. The motherboard was dead so it was cold.  So I tried heating. I removed the plastic fan and put the processor and heatsink into the oven at 50 Celsius.  I checked it after several minutes once it was a bit above body temp and it made no difference.  I put it in for a while longer to when it was so hot I could handle it quickly but otherwise it was too hot to hold.  Perhaps it was hot like leaving it on the dashboard of a car in the sun.  Then with a bit of force it twisted off.  This took some force so I used a huge spanner to make sure I was pressing on the sides of the processor and not onto the pins.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have repaired a lot of machines that were overheating.

If the CPU cooler does not come off easily I warm it up to soften the material. I have been lucky not to bend pins when the CPU came off with the cooler.

I use Arctic MX-4 which does not gum up like many OEM products do. MX-4 is good even after several years of use.

0 Likes
markjohnson
Journeyman III

I too use MX-4, it is really runny, buy stays soft forever it seems.  Anyway, when I removed my Ryzen 5 1600 a couple years ago, the CPU stuck to the cooler as well, luckily I had an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212 EVO) that screws on, so it pulled straight up (after twisting the cooler to break it loose from the CPU) and when I looked at the CPU it was gone.  I was like WTF!  Then I look on the bottom of the cooler and there is was.  Luckily no bent pins, so it went right back in.

I don't know if Intel socket is any better.  It is so easy to bend pins if you don't get it in straight.  I see some MB come with a CPU installer guide to make sure it goes in straight every time.

Too bad the OP didn't get a replacement.  I broke my old C2D Intel chip from overclocking.  I called Intel as I was within 30-days purchase and the amazingly replaced it for free, and overnight shipped it for free as well.  Of course, that was when desktops were king and Intel on top by a big margin.  I'm not sure anyone would anymore.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

MX-4 need only be used a very small amounts.

The defects it handles are on the micron scale, Most put far too much.

0 Likes
Blackwidowěþ
Journeyman III

You should've heated the cpu with prime 95 for at least 15mn or any other benchmarking software up to 80° degrees Celsius 60° is not safe !

0 Likes