cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mafnadeda
Journeyman III

Stupid AMD processor question

I bought a Ryzen 5 7600 to upgrade a Ryzen 5 2600. After I opened the package I saw there are no pins! The previous CPU has pins and the slot (AM4) has pin slots. I read online that the R5 7600 works with AM4 slot. Am I crazy? Do I need to buy a new slot? A new motherboard? Please help!

0 Likes
2 Replies

You will need to upgrade your Motherboard from a AM4 to a AM5 Motherboard plus purchase new RAM so that it will be compatible with your new Ryzen 7600 APU processor.

The old Ryzen 2600 uses the AM4 Socket but the new 7000 series AMD processors uses the new AM5 Socket.

Here is AMD Specs on the Ryzen 7600 processor:

Screenshot 2024-01-02 144806.png

It seems to come bundled with a AMD Wraith Stealth CPU Cooler. I advise you to upgrade that Cooler to a stronger CPU Cooler for best cooling.

Also the Ryzen 7600 has an Integrated Graphics so you can use the Motherboard's Video Outputs to get video to your Monitor if you want unless you have a GPU card.

NOTE: Basically you are building a new PC. You will need to purchase:

1- AM5 Motherboard

2- RAM compatible  with your Ryzen 7600 APU processor

3- If possible, upgrade your CPU Cooler to one that has a TDP rating of at least 150 Watts or higher.

4- If you have a GPU Card it might be compatible with your new Motherboard if not you can always use your new Processor's Integrated Graphics until your upgrade your GPU card if needed.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Paragon

The last CPU generation to remain on AM4 is the 5000-series. You could upgrade to a 5600 without changing anything else.

The 7000-series is AM5 which requires a new motherboard and also DDR5 memory.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes