cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

smith321
Journeyman III

Seeking Advice on AMD Processors for Gaming Build

I'm presently putting up a gaming machine and would appreciate any input on AMD CPUs. I've heard wonderful things about AMD's Ryzen series, but I'm not sure which CPU is ideal for my requirements.

I mostly play difficult games and occasionally stream my gaming on networks such as Twitch. I want a CPU that can multitask effectively while still providing outstanding gaming performance with no bottlenecks.

Here are a few questions I have:

1. Which AMD Ryzen CPU would you recommend for a performance and multitasking-focused gaming build?
2. What are the primary distinctions between Ryzen models such as the Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7, and Ryzen 9?
3. Should I wait for any forthcoming AMD CPU launches, or should I stick with the present options?

I admire your knowledge and would be grateful for any insights or advice you may offer. Please contribute your personal experiences, benchmarks, or any other pertinent information.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Adam Smith

Smith
0 Likes
7 Replies
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

Any of the Ryzen 9 series CPU I bit could get you though all this. Keep in mind I do not own any of these sadly, I'm just looking at specs! Hey if you have the money buy this: Buy Ryzen™ 9 7950X3D Desktop Processor Direct on AMD

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home
0 Likes
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

Here a great sale you can look at here: Buy Ryzen™ 9 5950X Processor Desktop Processor Direct on AMD

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home
0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Building new, now, go am5. I game 99,99 percent of the time, i waited and passed on the 7950x3d and went with the 7800x3d. (And i swapped a 7950x).  And i love it. Love it. 

Asus x670e-e/7800x3d/7900xtx/seasonic titanium 1000/ddr 5 cl30-6000 (hynix)

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Play mostly warzone/cod, with some RPG games mixed in. 

IMG_1233.JPG51272391-89E6-4877-B2D0-9E0A2186B8BD.jpeg

0 Likes
Fragdad
Adept I

For multitasking I would recommend a RYZEN 9.

Model distinction goes like this: RYZEN 5 = 5600 OR 5600X 6 CORES 12 THREADS, RYZEN 7 = 5700, 5700X,5800, 5800X, 5800X3D 8 CORES 16 THREADS, RYZEN 9 = 5900,5900X 12 CORES 24 THREADS, 5950, 5950X 16 CORES 32 THREADS. The non x variants have less power draw and less performance. The one X3D CPU mentioned has higher power draw and better performance in gaming. I used the last gen AM4 chips as an example. These will give you the best performance per dollar spent on a system. Unless you have a lot of money to spend I would steer clear of the new AM5 systems. You could easily spend a thousand dollars on just a motherboard.

I think I already answered number 3. I would stick with AM4, especially if this is your first AMD build.

0 Likes

Odd. "You could easily spend a thousand dollars on just a motherboard."  

My Memory, cpu, and cooler didn't cost this much. As for a MOBO, there are B650 boards out, around 230 bucks that will run a 7950x overclocked even, easily. Not to mention, why you would build a "new" pc atm, on a dead platform. Kinda cool to have MORE performance, and, upgrade again in 2 years.  Seems like a no brainer here (not rich) but,... hey.. i built my am5 rig in November, and it still wasn't as much as some competitive OLDER gen stuff. See ya in 2 or 3 years. 

Building RIGHT now,.. why in the hell (OP even asked if he should wait till next gen,.. welp the old **bleep** wont help) would you not move to next gen. Or if you do,.. then ya. Wait. And STILL be using 90 percent of the gear out now, or, the new new.  But, to each their own. 

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

"Should I wait for any forthcoming AMD CPU launches, or should I stick with the present options?"

EDIT- and those are a year out,....

They will STILL, use the MOBO's out now..... CUZ,.. new socket, aka,...  upgradable,.. am4, you are hosed. So, its up to you..... Buy now, even the best gear, and see ya in 2 years or so.

0 Likes