cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

SCEP Certificate Enrollment Initialization Errors Are Back Again w/ Windows 11 22H2

Some months back, I switched from an Asus X570 motherboard to a Gigabyte B550 motherboard and the SCEP Certification Errors I'd been getting constantly went away.  Today, I updated to the latest Windows 11 version (22H2 - Build 22621.521), and they're back.  Once again, I'm getting Event 86 Errors:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-CertEnroll
Date: 9/21/2022 5:23:49 PM
Event ID: 86
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Description:
SCEP Certificate enrollment initialization for Local system via https://AMD-KeyId-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net/templates/Aik/scep failed:

GetCACaps

Method: GET(0ms)
Stage: GetCACaps
The server name or address could not be resolved 0x80072ee7 (WinHttp: 12007 ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)
Event Xml (could not include because your fine forum software won't allow it).

and

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-CertEnroll
Date: 9/21/2022 5:23:49 PM
Event ID: 86
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Description:
SCEP Certificate enrollment initialization for WORKGROUP\DAVESWIN11$ via https://AMD-KeyId-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net/templates/Aik/scep failed:

GetCACaps

Method: GET(16ms)
Stage: GetCACaps
The server name or address could not be resolved 0x80072ee7 (WinHttp: 12007 ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)
Event Xml (ditto):

From what I've been able to find over the months (year?) that this has been happening without anyone from AMD or Microsoft giving a ...care, this is because the address of the AMD's certificate server is wrong in Windows.  For Pete's sake, fix this.  It's a security certificate, not a penny.

137 Replies
brkeudunman
Adept I

I have updated all my drivers, includes nvidia, but still error occurs. I'm using W11, Asus FA506IV. I can not disable TPM because the bios does not have any option for TPM. Any recommendation ?

0 Likes

For the logging :

• I closed the fast boot, didnt solve
  • I have cleared tpm with tpm.msc, waiting/ Didnt solve either
0 Likes

After a while I've noticed that, whenever the computer is plugged in, the problem occurs after every 10 or 20 min. Gotta research more.

No, even if it does not plugged in, the problem occurs

0 Likes

i have a FA506II had the same issue... Did you download the drivers from ASUS or AMD & Nvidia ? i recommend you backup things and then go back to Windows 10 and then upgrade all the drivers from AMD & Nvidia and so on and then see if issue stays... then you can disable TPM but not in BIOS but you can disable it with this: https://xtreh.ru/d/98582-tpm-off-uninstall-method-for-asus-laptop-users

Or from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/zspy65/cant_disable_tpm_on_asus_rog_zephyrus_m16_g503zw/j5...

Hopefully this works for you please make a backup of your data in case this goes wrong! 

0 Likes

I downloaded from Windows Update, then if they are mismatch I installed from ASUS`s drivers section. Now I`m gonna apply your instructions. Hopefully this works!

0 Likes

MS released this to insider build some months ago,

SCEP.png  Might make it to RTM in the next annual update?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I have applied to the insider program right now (Beta Channel). I will update the post after a test.

0 Likes

Yep.  I installed that back on 22 March 2023.  It didn't help.  Here's the Microsoft Feedback Hub item I reported to Microsoft (with nothing but an acknowledgement that they received it):

https://aka.ms/AAm27ha 

0 Likes
Siding4915
Adept II

I'm reporting back just had 2 back to back crashes again black screen and then i check event viewer and i see SCEP errors are back on startup... I have celebrated prematurely.... sad.... So it seems like i will be buying a new PC now definitely going back with Intel & Nvidia lol.

0 Likes

same

0 Likes

I have closed the TPM. Waiting for the new crisis..

0 Likes
EdgeHurd
Adept I

Updating after two weeks into using my new 5800X - no crashes, no SCEP failed.  I believe the issue was my RAM frequency of 2800MHz pairing with the old 1700X CPU. To get that to work, I should've been using 2666MHz, but it doesn't matter now with the 5800X. Using DOCP with 3200MHz and it's been fine.

Vertibird
Journeyman III

Hello, its 01.10.2023 and problem is still there! AMD why are you not fixing this already? 

My specs: Motherboard: Msi b450 m2 pro max, Cpu: R5 5600, GPU: Rx 6800, 2x16 gb ram at 3600mhz.

I have windows 11 with latest update. I have the exact authority doesnt exist problem. I have no reboots, can play games normally. My problem is everytime I reboot, radeon is restored to default due to system failure. I updated bios, chipset, gpu drivers. I also disabled TPM from BIOS, deleted windows TPM files but problem still exists. I have to reload my radeon OC settings everytime I reboot my computer.

For my last 3 pc build, I am completely using AMD products. But AMD not trying to fix this is ridiculous. I am getting disappointed.

0 Likes
chikkidog
Journeyman III

My computer just froze, had no option to power off by holding the power button in. Issue went away for the last two weeks now back. Getting the same - SCEP Certificate enrollment initialization events. Looks like a new computer if this is not fixed soon.

0 Likes
ariely99
Journeyman III

Well, this is not really a solution, but I did have several crashes (around 5-6!) every day, so I had to do something about it; otherwise, my PC was completely useless.

What I did was:

1. Uninstalling AMD Software Adrenalin using the "AMD Cleanup Utility."
  2. Updating Windows - which didn't fix the problem directly - but it did update my GPU (Radeon RX 6650 XT) driver to version 31.0.12027.7000 (dated 20.10.22).

It's been a day, and so far, no crashes. I know this is not ideal for long-term performance and compatibility as I'm not using the latest GPU driver, but I prefer to have a functioning PC at this point.

0 Likes

Hello, writing here after a few months, i changed out my old ryzen 2600 to a 5800x3d and didn't have any problems since. My guess it was either the older cpu or maybe the ram frequency. Cheers

0 Likes
Mailman
Journeyman III

Win 10 Enterprise was crashing daily, and diagnoses showed the boot device, an NVME 2TB SSD was going bad, it was only a year old, but the system board and CPU were five years old and no longer actively supported by the manufacture having been replaced newer models. I bought a replacement SSD and installed without removing the intermittently failing SSD. Restored the OS to the new device from a backup, and brought up the OS, but got a Disk Signature Collision error, even though the both devices came from different vendors. That fix was simple, simply deleted all the old partitions on the failing device, but that is when I noticed this error. Nothing I’ve tried has worked and I’ve spent 3 days on it. What I wanted to contribute to this thread is a notice I read from MS about four months ago while solving other HW problems. The notice essentially said that MS would no longer offer support for any OS when the HW platform it was running on, was not a currently supported HW platform by the manufacture, or something along those lines. More specifically it said, if the HW was not “current and fully supported” by the manufacture, then MS makes no claims regarding the reliability of any OS on that HW. It went on to give some date ranges as examples that made it quite clear that if the HW is replaced by something newer and is older than 3-5 years, your just SOL. No help from MS. The only solution they offered was, upgrade to a newer version of the OS but that doesn't really solve and aging HW problem now does it. So, if a single component goes bad, a drive for example, and the new drive works in your system, but your system is no longer actively supported by the manufacture, and there's some kind of conflict between the system and the new HW you just bought, don’t call MS cause they won’t help, instead by a new computer… Totally FU….

0 Likes
ganesh23
Journeyman III

I was finally able to fix this messy problem of EVENT ID 86. This fix has nothing to do with MICROSOFT servers and AMD fTPM. The error pops up because your CPU is struggling and beyond a certain percentage usage it will give up. System will restart either randomly when it is in the idle state or instantly when you run some apps or games which utilize 60-70% cpu during the start. 
I was getting this problem when I was trying to play online multiplayer games on steam. Ex- Apex legends or Rainbow Six Siege. (I was able to play offline mode games initially like "shadow of the tomb raider"). My pc always froze in the menu of the games and restarted everytime I launched the game. 
I did every possible thing (software wise) to sort this out. The following I tried:-

1. I reinstalled the games

2. I reinstalled the steam

3. I disabled the fTPM module in BIOS

4. I updated the BIOS to the latest version

5. I removed the RAM, cleaned the slots , reinserted the RAM

6. I updated/ Reinstalled the chipset drivers. Even the GPU.

7. I reverted back to windows 10 ( was on windows 11 pro) with fTPM disabled. But still got the same error and same freezing/restarting

Not a single thing above helped. Because the problem lied somewhere else entirely. When on 15th may 2024, after trying everything, I tried to play "Shadow of the tomb raider". It froze just like APEX LEGEND and gave me BSOD. Thereafter it restarted itself. It was then that hit me. Either my cpu is CHOKING or my connections are lose somewhere inside. And boy oh boy, I was **bleep** right! 
Yesterday I disassembled my entire cabinet. Disconnected every cable on the motherboard. Removed the gpu, NVMEs, Rams . When I was removing the HEAT SINK over the CPU , I found my CPU to be stuck to the Heat Sink. Thermal paste was long gone. 
So now I was sure my CPU was overheating while launching CPU intensive apps. It was a matter of couple of months before it would start freezing in idle state. I used a hair dryer and gently seperated the HEAT SINK and CPU. Cleaned the old thermal paste using alcohol. Cleaned the dust on the motherboard with a new/unused artist brush. I even removed the dust from the fan of HEAT SINK. 
After all the cleaning , I applied the new thermal paste properly on the cpu and re fit all the components on the motherboard. This time I ensured all the cable connections are tight and nothing is lose. Even after completing the hardware installations, I was skeptic. I wasn't sure that it will work. I connected the power cord, Hdmi cable, keyboard and mouse. I switched it on. And I ran into an error in the boot menu screen. b1 initialize library failed 0xc0000001. 

I thought I wrecked my PC. I searched it on google and someone pointed out that it happens whenever the motherboard is reset. Solution was to remove the CMOS battery for 20-30 seconds and reinsert it. 
I was good to go. System booted up. Reached the home screen.

Quickly launched every game installed on my steam account. And My miseries were gone. Finally no more freezing and restarting. System is good as new before. On event viewer I no longer get EVENT ID - 86. I think it does happen whenever the system is restarting because of the CPU failure.

For people who made it worked by replacing the CPU entirely, I think they should have disassembled, cleaned, applied new thermal paste and reassembled the entire components first ensuring tight connections. Of course new CPU will fix the problem, because it is new. It won't fail up on heating cause the heat sink will work properly on it. But same is not the case with 6months 8months or 1 year old systems. Old systems are riddled with dust and dried thermal paste. CPU failure are bound to happen.  

If you are facing such a problem, do this before throwing your system and buying a new one. I hope it helps whoever is getting the problem of system freeze. 
SCEP certification authentication failure has nothing to do with your system freeze. Its just a report generated following your CPU failure. 

I was cursing AMD and MICROSOFT all this time when the problem was poor maintenance on my side. I live in tropical region where temperature in summers go higher and there is a lot of dust around. 
Kindly try the solution before completely giving up.

0 Likes