cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

azerrr2005
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 7950X / MB/CPU/Software Problem?

Hello. Recently, I built a brand new computer and I'll first list all of the relevant specs here:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A ATX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6400MHz C32 (black)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090Ti FE
AIO: CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT (white)
PSU: CORSAIR RMe 1000W PSU (black)
Fans: 10x Lian-Li UNI SL120 INF 120mm (3x3 pack, 1x1 pack, all white)
Case: Lian-Li O11 EVO Mid-Tower (white)

When I first booted the system, I had a thought that my AIO wasn't working properly. The CPU temperatures were idling around ~65c in the BIOS at highest which I thought could be due to a a faulty pump or something along those lines. Eventually, I reapplied the thermal paste (which to be fair was located around the edge of the CPU block when I pushed it down) and temperatures were still ~60c idle. After some quick searches, some people have just note this behaviour with the CPU so I tried using my computer and thought nothing of it.
Performance wise at this stage it was fantastic. I had no problems with the CPU until I realised it was running 8 cores instead of 16. TLDR; I fixed this problem by going into msconfig about 30 times - sometimes, I'd change the msconfig settings to "Make all boot settings permanent" and the next system restart it would be back to the original settings. I don't really know what I did different in between the 30 tries and getting it to work other than multiple different BIOS releases.
At this time, when booting into Windows with 16 cores, the performance was about the same as when it was on 8 cores - just with half the Cinebench score (which is to be expected).

However, I've now fixed the 8/16 core problem and I'm greeted by another one that I can't quite figure out. Somewhere between me updating the BIOS between 5 and 10 times, the CPU's performance has taking a MASSIVE hit. 
I have really only been using Ryzen Master to monitor everything with the CPU, and I have installed other AMD drivers aswell to see if they have any effect on my system (which to this moment they have not)
I also tried updating to Windows 11 to see if the OS would react any differently and the problem still persists.

For a side note also: I have performed no overclocking whatsoever - I did not want to risk voiding the warranty. I have also reseated the CPU and the AIO cooler 3 times to be exact with no effect between each installation. I have inspected the CPU/Motherboard pins and they are pristine (to mine and my brothers eyes at least). I have also tried clearing the CMOS and looking at what other people have experienced and it seems that I'm alone with how my PC is reacting (which really does suck). The only thing I have not tried is a clean, fresh install of Windows. I do have a new NVMe M.2 drive I installed recently so I could try it on that, but if I've updated to Windows 11 already wouldn't it have the same/a similar effect (my idea is yes, unless some drivers are making my CPU act in this way)

Ryzen Master under a full Cinebench 23 load:
azerrr2005_0-1679455875814.png
Ryzen Master under no load:
azerrr2005_1-1679455957777.png 
Rainbow Six Siege FPS / GPU time (graphics set to highest):     Ryzen Master when Rainbow Six Siege is running:     
azerrr2005_2-1679456218669.pngazerrr2005_3-1679456283807.png

The only thing I've noticed has been the SoC power stuck at 25W nearly the entire time (sometimes it's 27W, previously it was 10W and I don't know what setting is causing it to do that). I have also seen my GPU times, and I'm almost positive that the GPU is not at fault. To my knowledge, I have the CPU pre-render option enabled (meaning the GPU waits for the CPU? not too sure on that one). Regardless, I have not messed with the GPU at all before the issue arose. Final note, I have also seen a big idle temperature decrease which makes me think it's either the CPU, the Motherboard or some software/drivers but to my knowledge I uninstalled all the ones.

I'm willing to try anything at this point. Give me some ideas if possible and thank you if you help me find the problem!

0 Likes
5 Replies

hello

first of all if i were you i would wanted to be sure if this is a performance drop of some sensor or firmware of the motherboard or cpu facing an issue and indicate wrong things. for example what is your r23 score ? you should see something around 39000.if your score is 39000 for example you do not have performance problem

then if i was sure that performance was not as expected i would do bios update to the latest bios and then fresh install of windows. 

also check for maybe some firmware not bios update by asus.

i think that if you do all these things and problem remain then you have hardware issue.

good luck

0 Likes

Hello. Throughout me using 16 cores, and also having this massive performance hit, I have retained a R23 score of ~36500 maximum. The R23 score for 8 core was halved so around ~18000.

I'm in the process of reinstalling Windows, so I'll try that first.

I have also tried every BIOS version and it seems that they're not changing anything anymore.

Thank you for the advice and I'll get back to you when I've tried everything!

0 Likes

with this cpu cooler 36500 is not normal  but it is not a disaster i would expect something like 40000 with pbo enabled . i asume that it is something simple like the contact with cpu with the cpu cooler . are you sure that the pump of cpu cooler is working good ? for example the header of the pump always gives maximum power ,if you have placed the pump to a wrong header that is for the cpu fan, from bios you must set full speed so the pump works good 

0 Likes

Yeah don't worry I ensured that. It's currently plugged into the CPU_FAN header and set to DC mode - for some reason putting it in the AIO_PUMP header results in the BIOS saying that the minimum fan speed (200RPM) is too low, or that the cooler is not connected/seated properly. You can change the setting for this to "Ignore", but sometimes it doesn't fix the problem and most other people with an ASUS board have said to just use the CPU_FAN header instead and manually override it from AUTO to DC.

As for my Windows install, well... After formatting the SSD properly, Windows refuses to install on the SSD currently - I'm still trying to look at some different fixes for this. I might copy all files from my current 1TB SSD to the 2TB one and see if Windows will some how let me install the files onto the one I'm currently using to boot.

0 Likes

Okay, a few updates:

I managed to fix the performance problem by reinstalling Windows - woohoo!

However... I can now no longer boot, which I think is due to the ASUS motherboard I have - I've heard a lot of people have issues with them boot looping/freezing, etc.

Installing Windows was very much a pain, but hey, it fixed my problem. One thing I haven't done yet is install all the drivers again, but I'm reluctant to do that since I think it may be the reason all of this happened in the first place.

Last thing, my Cinebench R23 score is still ~36500, even with PBO enabled. Not too sure what's happening there - temperatures are again fine so I don't really know.

Thanks a lot anyway!

0 Likes