cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Canned_Meat
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 7950x - constant high clock speed and temps

So, Using the onboard NZXT monitoring soft, from startup, the CPU is running almost flat out and and a constant higher temp than it ought to given the LOW load.

I have done a little reading but nothing that really pertains to the CPU I have so, to err on the side of caution, I thought I would ask folks what might know what is happening, why it might be happening and if there is something that can be done just to get the little guy to calm down a touch.

Screen grab was taken shortly after startup without other apps running -- aside from firefox, NZXT and Snipping tool.

Cheers in advance.

CPU Clock Issue.JPG

0 Likes
16 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Canned_Meat, I see no problem in what you displayed, but please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) running the latest Cinebench. Thanks and enjoy, John.

I actually did not have RM installed and I am pretty unfamiliar with the program and it's features.

I have downloaded it now and opened it up but cannot see anything overtly calling itself, "cinebench". So I can give you the most accurate infor to help you, help me, can you go into a little detail about how to get that process done?

Cheers

0 Likes

Canned_Meat, get Cinebench here. Enjoy, john.

0 Likes

02.JPG03.JPG

Here are the screen grabs as requested. I was not too sure what os this info was needed so I tried to grab it all.01.JPG

0 Likes

Thanks, Canned_Meat, assuming you are running Cinebench, these are OK, greater than 5GHzand throttling  due to temperature. All 16 cores are running about the same speed. If you have a problem at idle, please post a screenshot of RM. This looks fine. RM should be used to display clocks and temperature not NZXT. Enjoy, John. 

0 Likes

Canned_Meat, please read my last post and post the SSs I requested. All looks good to me so far. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, is that 61C at idle? If so.

Have you adjusted in power options the minimum processor state to something like 5%

For comparison, you should be getting like 40ish at idle and lower clocks too, but don't stress too much with the clocks, as they jump a lot due to some background tasks that might need CPU power, I know as I do have a few.

7950X with a 240 Ryujin 

The Englishman
0 Likes

This, "running flat out" is kind of a recent thing with my system. I have not adjusted anything within power settings.

My concerns mostly stem from the fact that it did not used to run like this.

0 Likes

I'm thinking something like a windows update that went sour, maybe? Or BIOS Update?

Its not rare to see windows updates bricking something like gaming performance, for me, the last windows update made my fans go nuts, had to do all the fan curves again in Armoury Crate.

I would check it out.

The Englishman
0 Likes
FunkZ
Paragon

The 7950X should throttle down to 4.5GHz at idle so the fact it is running at 5.4GHz and 60°C means something is generating a CPU load - per your screenshot a 3% load which doesn't sound like much, but considering you have a 16 core / 32 thread processor, a 3% load means one thread is at nearly 100% utilization.

Check Task Manager or similar to determine what process is consuming your CPU.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

It can throttle even lower than that, I can see cores going down as low as 2ghz while others boost according the needs, but in general, while idling, every core should go bellow 4ghz with ease.

But keep in mind I configured it that way with minimum CPU state.

johnnyenglish_0-1704195460268.png

The Englishman

Canned_Meat, please read my last post and post the SSs I requested. All looks good to me so far. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I think you might have replied to the wrong person as I was doing a follow up on Funkz reply and tackling the fact that the user posted a first image with a CPU at 3% load while doing 61C.

Also, he states its a recent thing, this suggests that idle temps & clocks were lower at a given moment.

My suggestion remains, as this is how I lowered clocks on mine.

Its Winter Time, 39C idle on my 7950X

The Englishman

Thanks, johnnyenglish. John.

0 Likes
Canned_Meat
Journeyman III

Hey guys and Gals,

I found the cause of the issue and it seems it was a windows bug.

Performance default was set at, default. I changed it to, high performance, and everything calmed down. Something within windows was sending the gear to run at max all the time.

With me changing it, things have settled, temps are lower acorss the board and idle speed is generally sitting at around 3.5mhz now -- which is where they ought to be.

Cheers for the assist all and sorry for the late reply.

0 Likes

Hi friend, I am having a very similar issue with my 7950x. constant high temps and CPU is always at almost max clock speed. What do you mean by performance default and how do you change it? I can't find any setting about changing the performance mode.

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes