cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

martinflorio83
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 7950 - It is mandatory to use 2 eps connectors?

Hi, I have the following query I bought a mother and micro Ryzen 9 7950 and at the moment I put it together I realize that the mother has two eps connectors and my Antec psu only has one. I am a user who uses it to work, no overclocking, do I need to change the psu or can I use it with only one?

0 Likes
1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

There is a couple or more takes about this from ASUS. (i had a laugh right now) I'll try not to be long. 

- Each single 4+4 EPS cable is rated at around 280/300 watt. (not 100% sure on these numbers) 

- The 7950X in normal circumstances can reach up to 250watt, if you use any sort of extreme OC, Curve Optimizer or PBO it will be limited to the power available, so you won't benefit from the tweaking. 

- Today, PSU's will surely bring along 2 cables, even my 750Watt RoG have 3x GPU plus 2x EPS. I would use both to balance the power load. If your PSU does not have one, its a sign that you may want to think about an upgrade down the line.

- Using just one wont cause any troubles, the Board manual should have that written, at least mine does. Be sure you fully seat the cable as lots of power will flow thru that.

- If you don't use any tweaks and enable EcoMode then its as safe as it can get.

Conclusion, if you have 2 EPS use it, if not its a warning that you will need a better PSU in the future.

PSU Future proofing is not about just getting highest wattage possible, a reputable brand, 80+ gold or titanium, good quality components and good cabling is also important.

Hope it was helpful.

Screenshot_20230522-234944.png

The Englishman

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You can use just 1

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

There is a couple or more takes about this from ASUS. (i had a laugh right now) I'll try not to be long. 

- Each single 4+4 EPS cable is rated at around 280/300 watt. (not 100% sure on these numbers) 

- The 7950X in normal circumstances can reach up to 250watt, if you use any sort of extreme OC, Curve Optimizer or PBO it will be limited to the power available, so you won't benefit from the tweaking. 

- Today, PSU's will surely bring along 2 cables, even my 750Watt RoG have 3x GPU plus 2x EPS. I would use both to balance the power load. If your PSU does not have one, its a sign that you may want to think about an upgrade down the line.

- Using just one wont cause any troubles, the Board manual should have that written, at least mine does. Be sure you fully seat the cable as lots of power will flow thru that.

- If you don't use any tweaks and enable EcoMode then its as safe as it can get.

Conclusion, if you have 2 EPS use it, if not its a warning that you will need a better PSU in the future.

PSU Future proofing is not about just getting highest wattage possible, a reputable brand, 80+ gold or titanium, good quality components and good cabling is also important.

Hope it was helpful.

Screenshot_20230522-234944.png

The Englishman

are they rated that much? jesus lol...... 

Ahhh, the eps cables are different that the standard 8pin pcie, which has jumpers to ground/negative. Makes sense. 

0 Likes

Thank you all for the answers, I think I'll buy a new psu, although mine is of good quality, it only has one eps cable. Thanks!

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Id run two (did when i had my 7950x) Why buy the chip, and neuter it? But to each their own. 

0 Likes