cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Grimreaper-DM
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 7900x Hight CPU temp, over 100 C

Hello Guys, I have a new PC  I built and wanted to see if anyone here could suggest an optimum BIOS settings for moderate CPU temps and decent performance. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX  Radeon RX 7800 XT  16GB

I have tried a few BIOS tweaks and re-seated the AIO cooler with new thermal paste and still no change with the case open. The temps seem to reach a max of 102 C and then I switch it off just to be safe with the processor.

0 Likes
2 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Grimreaper-DM, the max temperature for the 7900X is 95C, so I suspect you are not really seeing 102C except presented by a faulty utility. Please install Ryzen Master (RM) and see what your temperatures really are. I suggest you stay out of BIOS and do a Clear CMOS. John.

0 Likes
roupa_de_trapo
Adept III

Depending on your fine adjustments in the BIOS and the type of cooling, the Ryzen 7000 can get quite hot. This happens because the processor has several thermal sensors that continuously measure the temperature, if there is a margin, it will try to increase the Clock and this implies exceeding 95°C which is the peak throtlle of the first moment, let's assume that your cooler can extract 300 watts, then the processor measures how much it can rise to the limit of around 200 watts. Clock throtlle can happen after 95°C has already passed. As the Ryzen's contact area is smaller than the old models, and the temperature rises exponentially, there is a possibility of exceeding 95°C. However, the internal temperature monitoring system works together with this heat flow capacity and how much current the system can maintain, for example, in my 360 mm liquid cooler I already obtained 115°C peak. In my air cooler I didn't usually go much above 95°C and I already had a throtlle in the clock, now with the curve shaper i've reached 105°C. For Higher Clock, the higher the maximum temperature, if the temperature stops rising, the Clock can remain almost steady (oscillates within the maximum possible margin).

Another example, suppose that up to 5GHz, on all cores, the temperature is 64°C, then you have margin up to the transistor's operating limit, which is 74°C, then you increase these values ​​to 5.5GHz and then From 95°C you start to notice that there are peaks of 100°C that the system showed on the screen, then the heat rises exponentially, but the system has already lowered the clock due to thermal monitoring, to 5GHz, while the heat is not rising , the system keeps the clock as possible. But the heat does not flow at the same speed as it is generated, so there is a new peak of 105°C, so the system lowers the Clock a little more. Any time the monitoring system sees that there is room to rise, it speeds up the clock further. Therefore, your temperature may spike higher than 100°C, but your clock has already dropped and this happens much faster than what is shown in visual monitoring. In any case, these values ​​are within the operating range of the equipment and the computer would shut down or restart if they were dangerously exceeded. Note that your clock goes up more with more robust cooling and, consequently, the recorded temperature goes up too.

Observe the maximum clock you can achieve at each temperature value, you can use ECO mode to improve temperatures. The higher the voltage value, the higher the temperature, the higher the clock, the higher the temperature, the smaller the contact area of ​​the processor, the lower the heat output flow. Although the heat recorded is above 95°C, the clock has already throttled (5GHz -->4GHz -->2GHz)

0 Likes