cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

vDrixp
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5950x temps

Can someone help my with my cpu? I've just upgraded and installed to a Ryzen 9 5950X from a ryzen 5 3600xt today and it's literally idling at a constant 90C temp. I feel like i've tried everything and it's not fixing the temp issue.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Spurious_ECG
Adept II

What CPU cooler are you using?

That is the most important component in cooling your CPU.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT -> Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R
Motherboard: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK B550
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 2x16
SSD/HDD: XPG S40G 2TB RGB 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.3 M.2 2280 Internal SSD
GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G
PSU: Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
Chassis: MSI Gungnir 110R

Bios version:
7C91vAA1(Beta version)
2022-05-26

Using the new processor, starting up the temperature would peak around 80-90C, and there would be an error message saying "CPU overheating alert!" when first turning the computer on. Then when switching back to the previous processor, there would be no error messages and the temperatures would peak around 70-75C on startup.
I've tried reapplying thermal paste, cleaning out fans, made sure cables were securely connected, made sure the pump was secure in place.
If my CPU peaks at 90 just opening chrome, I'm afraid what would happen when opening heavy games that requires much more then what's required for startup.

0 Likes

I have a R9 5950x with a NZXT K r a k e n  Z53 240mm AIO, idle shes at 30 to 32degrees under a full gaming load it never climbs above 42degrees.

I have no idea why yours is idling at such a high temperature.

0 Likes

There have been several Users with MSI MAG CORELIQUID CPU Cooler here at AMD Forums that was causing their 59xx processor to overheat. Most either RMAed their MSI AIO or replaced it with a different AIO.

To eliminate the MSI AIO install a cheap AIR CPU Cooler and see if it runs cooler.

Plus your MSI AIO might be defective or not installed correctly if it idles at 90c.. I would open a MSI Support - Warranty to see if you need to RMA your MSI AIO or not.

Plus there was a MSI Recall on your type of AIO Model: https://us.msi.com/Landing/liquid-cooler-swap-application

See if you have one of the defective models.

igjoe2192
Adept II

Re-mount the cooler. If it is instantly hitting 90°c then you are not making proper contact. 

0 Likes