Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Soarzo
Adept I

Ryzen 9 5900x WHEA for 2 years

Hello all.

Nearly two years ago, in November of 2022, I was able to get my hands on a 5900x. Since I have upgraded to this processor, it has been nothing but issues, and they have always been misdiagnosed, until now. There is no other issue that it could possibly be, and I was looking for ways to move forward with this CPU. When buying this processor, I had expected to get the full power and capability of it, only to have to tone it down again and again just to have my computer be somewhat stable. I have changed every part, the power supply, motherboard, RAM, GPU, even SSDs, and none of this has helped. I continue to receive the same WHEA Uncorrectable Error when starting nearly any application on stock settings, on either motherboard. The only solution (albeit temporary, before problems returned) I have found was to disable PBO and CPB and undervolt the CPU, getting reduced output. If this 5900x is no better than my old 2600, I do not see any reason to upgrade, and am honestly thinking of going back to it. I'd rather have something stable that is slightly weaker than to have a strong processor be significantly toned back, and yet still unstable.

I came to this forum to see if anyone has found other solutions that might be causing this issue, and isn't going to reply with an automated message telling me to update BIOS or my GPU drivers, or to "unplug it and plug it back in." I have reseated all of my parts numerous times on mounting them to several different motherboards, none of which have changed anything.

Originally, I had started with an ASRock A320M-HDV with my Ryzen 5 2600, but the board was not strong enough to support a 5900x.
After learning about this, I bought a GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, (rev 1.3). This board should have been able to support it, but I assumed that this board was still not strong enough considering how much power was running through it. 
I upgraded my power supply from 550W to 850W, and still no fix.
After this, I bought an ASRock X570S PG Riptide, which is what I am posting this from. The system is not any more stable than it was on the last board.
In order to get the system stable enough to post this, I went through BIOs and turned off PBO and CPB, undervolted the CPU, and kept XMP profiles off.

I'm at a loss for what to do right now, looking for any solutions before I try to RMA and get a different CPU. I am more than open to try whatever solution anyone comes up with, or to provide any information requested.

Current Specs;
ASRock X570s PG Riptide
Zotac 3060TI
Ryzen 9 5900x
G.Skill Ripjaws (2x16gb)

0 Likes
8 Replies

Have you done a fresh install of Windows? This can fix the error.
Another is uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them. 
Overheating can cause this error as well.

0 Likes

I'm going to change back to my old board and do a fresh install of Windows there once again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers that I possibly could. Overheating is not likely to be the issue as this can happen while the system is just idling, not even signed in yet.

0 Likes

For sure, another thing is to try it in Safe Mode. If it happens to you in Safe Mode then it is unfortunately the CPU being bad. I personally run the 5900x and I haven't ran into any issues. I hope this at least gets you in the right direction. 

0 Likes

Even in Safe Mode, I continue to get the same WHEA. Thank you for the advice, helped me get some more confidence for RMA, lol

SummitChaser
Adept I

Sending CPU for RMA might be your best bet. It can be troublesome, but with luck it will give you stable system again.

0 Likes

Hoping for the best, starting RMA process now.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

what power supply make/model are you running?

What cooler are you using on your 5900x?

..and IS your BIOS up to date? Do you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD's website?

What case? .. are you running any cable extenders INSIDE  your case?

My wife's old 3700x setup on an ASRock B550m Phantom Gaming 4 , 2 x 16GB 3200 stuff, RX550 2GB GPU .. was getting driver timeouts and some WHEA errors. Changing out the PSU cured all her issues. You stated you upgraded from a 550w to an 850w .. but not all PSU's are created equal, hence the query about make and model of your current power supply.

Be sure to check for firmware updates for your current SSD's. It probably will have no bearing on your current WHEA errors, but good to do regardless

Maybe just go ahead and RMA your 5900x

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Thermaltake Toughpower GX3 850W 80Plus Gold.
Using a CoolerMaster 212 Hyper, which has been keeping the temps down just fine with this CPU.
BIOS and the chipset drivers are up to date, and they have been on both boards. Issues continued. 
Just switched to a Lian Li O11 EVO XL, had a deal and figured why not. Improved airflow over the last case, and my cooling is sufficient. I don't have any cable extenders to worry about either. 
I had tried another 850W PSU, still got the same issues.

Starting the RMA process now. Hopefully things get worked out.

It wouldn't let me reply earlier .. Weird.