cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Leyequois
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5900x reaching high temps constantly

I just upgraded from my old intel to this processor, with the Asus RogStrix x570-e

I am seeing how it behaves and I see that it is reaching 80+C, most of the time it is 70-76C, but it does reach even the 90(albeit for an almost unnoticeable period)

I was testing RDR2 and it reached above 80 just a few times, but when I opened ESO, which IMO is not as pretty as RDR2, it is always at 85+/-, (I am testing with the new DLAA and all ultra, and it gives me 230+ FPS, but it remains at that temp) and I noticed that immediately after closing ESO, it goes down to 77-

Leyequois_0-1635833645588.png

Is this normal for the CPU? I am using a MASTERLIQUID ML120L RGB, am I good or should I get something more beefy?

0 Likes
1 Reply

I looked  at several Best CPU Coolers for the Ryzen 9 5900x and all of the AIO Liquid coolers had Radiators of 280 and above.

The Ryzen 5900X needs a CPU Cooler with a rating of 105 TDP or higher. Also the Maximum Operating Temperature is 90C.

Which means when the CPU Temperature starts reaching 90C the processor will automatically start to slow down or throttle to keep the temperature at or below 90C.

So you AIO is adequate enough to keep the processor from overheating or to throttle but it runs a little hot under very heavy loads.