cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

TothW
Adept I

Ryzen 9 5900x no throttling on high temperature

Hello, I've just built my new PC with a ryzen 9 5900x and I've done a stress test with Cinebench R23 on multicore while I had game boost enabled. The CPU temperature was already over 95 degrees celsius but there was no sign of stopping and it kept on rising while the thermal throttling didn't happen. I think I should reapply my thermal paste but I am more worried about why the throttling didn't start. Any ideas as to why that didn't happen?

The temp without game boost was around 66 degrees celsius in R23.

Build:

- MPG X570S Carbon max wifi

- Ryzen 9 5900x

- Noctua Nh-D15

- 3 noctua fans in front, 1 in the back, 2 corsair fans on top all 120mm

- Case Corsair 4000D

Here is a picture of the temps read in HWiNFO64

CPU Overheating.PNG

0 Likes
1 Solution

You are talking abour MSI Game Boost  correct?

I suggest you uninstall  or disable MSI Game Boost in BIOS for overclocking and just use BIOS Settings (PBO or PBO2) that automatically and safely over clocks your Ryzen processor

Found this tech site explaining about MSI Game Boost: https://www.tekpip.com/what-does-the-msi-game-boost-do/

Is the MSI Game Boost Safe?

Experienced gamers and gaming machine builders suggest that when you use the MSI game boost way too often, your PC can start to overheat, causing it to function at even a lower level of efficiency. We noticed something when we enabled the MSI game boost on one of our machines. Our Core I5-6600K Vcore was instantly set to 1.4v. So it clearly got too much voltage into the CPU Vcore and that is enough to damage the PC. As a rule of thumb, try to do any kind of OC manually, not automatically using a tool like MSI Gaming Boost and other similar ones.

Until MSI recodes Game Boost not to cause the CPU to go past its safety parameters it is best to not use this program. Plus the fact if it should damage your processor your 3 year AMD Warranty is voided since it was overclocked.

View solution in original post

15 Replies