cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sierraa
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3900x fan extremely loud

I believe I may have gotten a defective cooling fan with my ryzen 9 CPU. It’s either a bad barring or unbalanced fan blades. I have checked for blades hitting wires and lowered minimum processing power down to 50 (max 99). How do I contact AMD about this? is this considered a Processor warranty claim? 

0 Likes
2 Replies
kurdtnz
Adept III

Are you using the Wraith prism fan? Ryzen wraith fans are best described as 'adequate.' I ran a wraith prism on a 3600X and it sounded like a jet engine, I could actually feel the vibrations from it through my desk! Ryzen cpu's boost very aggressively which in turn causes the constant ramping up and down of the cpu fan. You could adjust the fan curve in the BIOS but the best thing I ever did was buy a decent after market cooler.

If you are using the Bundled Wraith Prism that came with the Ryzen Processor it is covered by the 3 year AMD Warranty if the fan is defective. 

But AMD Warranty doesn't go into effect until the Retailer/Vendor's Return Date or Warranty has expired.

You can open a AMD Warranty request from here and ask them: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

Also the Wraith Prism has a tiny switch on the body. Silent and Performance settings. See if putting it on "Silent" will help with the noise also I would put back the Maximum on the Processor to 100% again and Minimum to 5% in Windows Power Plan.

If the Wraith in Silent Mode doesn't keep the processor from overheating then you will need to get a 3rd Party CPU Cooler that will be more powerful and quieter than the Wraithe Prism.

NOTE: Not sure if you need to turn in both the Processor and CPU Cooler to get a new CPU Cooler under AMD Warranty.