cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

M1lky
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 7800x3d hitting 105C in idle

I just built this PC 2 weeks ago and it was running fine until recently it began experiencing shut downs. I ran the usual checks and everything seemed to be properly seating and functioning, reapplied thermal paste and still no luck system was still experiencing shutdowns. Checked in BIOS and the CPU was at 95C and went up to 105C just in BIOS. It was the same after logging into Windows11 and checking in HWMonitor temps start high and hit 105C before shutting down. I did a fresh install of Windows 11 still no luck. Took the PC to a shop to get it checked and everything seemed fine. He ran benchmarks and was impressed with the performance and did a fresh install of Windows 11 as well. He also tuned the fans so they ran faster since they were apparently in Silent mode at default. Took the build home and had no problems for the day and the next. However I just woke up and Booted up the computer and it's back to the 90C's and hitting 105C and shutting down. Not sure what's going on. Perhaps my AIO cooler is not good enough for this build? The shop said it should be fine but I'm not so sure now. I did not OC this build or anything. My drivers are up to date. Someone save me :c
I included a part list of what I have in the build and my peripherals. I'm also including screenshots of HWMonitor and BIOS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 240 Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminum High-Grade 5 g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: ASRock B650 PG LIGHTNING ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WBAX210 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Monitor: Gigabyte G34WQC A 34.0" 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Curved Monitor
Drawing Pad: Huion Kanvas Pro 16
Surge Protector: Belkin Power Strip Surge Protector BE112230-08
Keyboard: Ducky Mini Wired Mini Keyboard]
Headphones: Sennheiser GAME ONE Headset

EDIT (because it seems like it's impossible to reply in the forum. 600 seconds claiming message spam? and then 21600 seconds?? I just want to reply to the kind souls trying to help me **bleep**..) :
-I checked the AIO tubes if water was flowing and indeed are flowing
-Just checked and updated BIOS from 1.11 to 1.21
also checked for GPU and Chipset Updates as well
-Everything is brand new except my keyboard, mouse, headphones, and Drawing Pad (these probably won't make a difference in this situation though haha) but yes the AIO cooler is brand new, seemingly flowing, and the fans were hitting like 1920rpm

bios2.jpgbios3.jpgbios4.jpgbios5.jpgbios6.jpgbios7.jpghwmonitor1.jpghwmonitor2.jpghwmonitor3.jpgbios1.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution
petosiris
Miniboss

I see you're running BIOS version 1.11.  There's a new and important BIOS for your motherboard, which you should download and install.  Version 1.21 was released two days ago and fixes voltage problems with Ryzen 7000 series CPUs:

image_2023-04-29_143754570.png

Dowload here: https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650%20PG%20Lightning/index.asp#BIOS

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image

View solution in original post

9 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

When it turns on can you feel water flowing in the tubes of the AIO?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
ThreeDee
Paragon

Is your motherboards BIOS up to date? THAT would be the first thing to do/check/update

How old is your AIO? .. can you post a pic of the inside of your setup? 

ThreeDee PC specs
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This seems really like the AIO failed.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I would agree

.. and could also be installed where the pump is getting starved/catching the air in the loop ..etc .. maybe

ThreeDee PC specs
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Here's how to test your AIO 

If the AIO its software controlled, increase pump speed and reduce fan rpm to minimum or off. Take out side panel and listen carefully near the cpu block, is it whirring? Should have a strange high pitched noise, increase/decrease pump rpm to confirm.

If you dont have software, do it inside BIOS. 

Lastly, you did peel the plastic film protection from the cpu block, right?

Good luck 

The Englishman
petosiris
Miniboss

I see you're running BIOS version 1.11.  There's a new and important BIOS for your motherboard, which you should download and install.  Version 1.21 was released two days ago and fixes voltage problems with Ryzen 7000 series CPUs:

image_2023-04-29_143754570.png

Dowload here: https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650%20PG%20Lightning/index.asp#BIOS

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
Koyote7667
Challenger

I’m sorry. I didn’t read all of that. You have a MAJOR cooling issue. Period. It’s not a bios setting, noting will drive the cpu that hot unless you have a major cooling issue. Period. 
(7800x3d 2 days after launch, and I run it at enhanced 70c & I don’t even see that temp when gaming) 

your air cooler or aio isn’t even touching or working boss. At all. 

M1lky
Journeyman III

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to replies because the insane message response timer (gave me a 10 minute wait, and then a 6 hour wait)
To sum things up, yes the AIO is functioning properly, yes I did peel the plastic off before I put it on, yes it is properly contacting the cpu
After updating the BIOS, the chipset, the motherboard and whatever else I could I have not experienced high temps! So it definitely seems like it was the AMD and motherboard creating the issue just like the current headlines
Most the updates were uploaded on the 27th and some even were listed to specifically deal with this issue, thanks to everyone who responded! I wish I could reply individually but, again, that wait time is absolutely insane, idk how people get help promptly with that sort of system