I got a new PC with the following configuration:

Windows version10.0.22000 Build 22000
System modelMicro-Star MS-7C91
BoardMAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) version 2
BIOSAmerican Megatrends International, LLC. A.84, 24.09.2021
SMBIOS version2.8
ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics, 3801 MHz, 8 Core
Physical RAM32 GB

The system runs very unstable and either freezes completely, experiences black screens or corrupted graphic display (the kind of graphics gone wild with a lot of flickering and "bit snow". Someting I used to know from my old C64 - but never experienced this in the newer days except for now), or "recovers" to a blue screen with a stop error.

The error happens mostly after powering on the PC - two out of three boot tries need a retry to get things going. During operations it only happens once or twice a day (which is way too often for a modern system!).

The eventlog sometimes manages to log one or several ID 4101 "the display driver amdwddmq stopped responding... " before the system goes down completely. Beside that no other suspicious errors are logged.

Remedies I tried:

• Reinstalling Win 11 (had to, one crash destroyed the system partition)
  • Installing the newest AMD driver from the AMD website
  • Switching off A-XMP settings in the BIOS
  • The BIOS runs on "AUTO" - no manual overclocking whatsoever (I am not a gamer - I just need a decent PC to run some renderings on it, no need for the last couple of FPS gains )
  • I disabled the S3 power state in the BIOS which helped a lot to reduce the crash rate during normal operations, but it does not overcome the startup problems

There seem to be more users hit by this problem especially with the APU version.

Is there anything already known about this? Any hints, how to stabilize things? (beside using the vanilla windows fail save graphic driver, which seems to run slow but stable, but that's not really an option on the long run...)

Thanks for your support & Greetings

0 Likes
1 Reply
bubbajfett
Journeyman III

Same problems.     Windows 10.    ASUS Strix B550 with 5700G.       Black screen lockups, as well as totally garbled screens.    Very intermittent though and no way to reliably reproduce.     Latest MB and GPU driver software installed reduced the issue, but it hits about every hour or two

0 Likes