cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept III
Adept III

Ryzen 7 3700x high temp with Noctua NH D15S cooler

Hello. I have a temp issue with my R7 3700x high temp underload  and idle with Noctua NH D15s. idle is above 45C, and underload like running Aida64 default selected option stress test cause the temp is go above 85C on HWinfo64. Even playing PlanetSide 2 cause the CPU temp to 77C and slowly reaching to 80C. I did reapply thermal paste with 3 dots and check the mounting, and it seems fine to me. Ryzen Balance Power Plan selected.

ROG Strix X470F

R7 3700x

2x16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz RGB

Corsair 750D with 2x 140mm fans intake front and 1x 140mm exhaust back

Ambient is 30C. Bring down ambient from 30C to 26C doesn't help the temp

Case off doesn't help either

Screenshot_3.jpg

0 Kudos
147 Replies
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 7 3700x high temp with Noctua NH D15S cooler

Help please

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Your temperatures for an Air cooled CPU Cooler seems to be within the Processor's Maximum Operating Temperature of 95C.

If under heavy loads or stress, the Processor's temps goes over 95C then you may need to upgrade to a liquid CPU Cooler to keep the temperature at or below 95C - Maximum Operating Temperature of the Processor.

80C is not that bad for the processor while playing a modern game.

If your CPU Cooler only has one Fan you may want to add a second fan to the CPU Cooler heat sink in a PUSH-PULL combination. It may help to keep the temperatures more stable during AIDA64 testing.

Also open one side of the computer case and see if the Processor's temperatures are lower. If they are that indicates poor air circulation in your computer case.

According to Noctua FAQ concerning your specific CPU Cooler model here is what is says about high temps on the new 3xxx processors: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s/faq 

Exemplar
Exemplar

Make sure to follow Noctua's recommended application for medium sized CPUs with their coolers.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBS2SfB4wB0

Adept III
Adept III

1) Nobody wants to run CPU temp above 85C! Who the hell would allow their CPU to reach 90C and let alone 95C. Max operating temp is 95C for Ryzen which is the same for Intel for 100C thermal throttling. The thing is if CPU is above 80C and reaching 85C and above.

2) 80C is bad for something like NH D15 playing modern games and using CPU intensive app or playing CPU intensive games.

3) I already added a second Noctua PWN 120mm fan and it no help at all

4) Case off no work

5) Undervolt negative offset .50 helps a little bit

6) No air and watercooling can handle 1.5V coming from CPU. 1.5V is like LN2 overclocking cpu voltage.

7) My case is Corsair 750D Airflow with mesh filter on the front instead solid panel on regular 750D

8) Cooler tighten in. Screws are tighten in. No wobble at all.

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

Hello

I have Arctic MX4 and Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

You know you are talking to fellow users trying to help you in these forums not AMD right?

AMD sets the thermal limits for these processor so comparing these to Intel or previous AMD chips means nothing. I do get the concern and why you would think you should do that. That being said you are right. When you reach a temperature and a CPU doesn't like it will thermal throttle. It is easy to check if you are throttling, not sure if you have done that, you only mention temps not performance numbers actually showing performance drops.  Also where are you checking the temp? Many utilities are not reporting the temps of 3rd gen Ryzen chips accurately and are 10 degrees off. Make sure you are using an AMD utility or a utility that says it IS up to date and Ryzen 3 compatible.

AMD has been almost cryptic in its release of real thermal limits on these chips. Many reviewers have thought it is because some of them go higher than they really should but fear AMD doesn't want to call them bad. This is repeating others opinions not mine. I don't have your chip so I can't speak intelligently. I have a Rzyen 5 3600 with many less cores than yours and use a Cooler Master 212 EVO with Noctua NT-H1 on mine. Mine can run 24/7 full load and never go over 73 degrees. My idle is between 35 and 50 typically. These things are VERY DYNAMIC and swing temperature like no processor I have used before however. You just can't compare them to what we have used in the past.

Now I have seen others claiming that different Bios settings are causing different temperatures some saying new bios fixed others saying they regressed. Make sure to try a new bios/efi firmware update if available. Also reporting this to the motherboard maker might also offer some help. You may not be the only one with this issue on your board model. I certainly agree your physical cooling solution is more than adequate.

If you really feel you have a lemon I would simply try to get an RMA and see if the Silicon Lottery brings you better luck on the next one:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Esteemed Contributor III

I never mentioned about running the CPU above 85C. According to you while gaming the hottest it got was 80C. Normally I would agree with you about 80C running hot for that type of heavy duty CPU Cooler.  But after reading from Noctua own website it does mention that the 3xxx Processors run hotter than the previous generation of Processors.

Okay, it seems like you have done everything to lower the temperature of the CPU with the CPU Cooler. There are some BIOS Settings that concerns the CPU Performance and Boost Features which I imagine you have already either disabled or changed.

Seems like the Noctua is installed correctly by your description. Plus since there was no difference in temperatures with the computer case panel off on one side means that the air flow inside is adequate.

In which case I would suggest to open a Noctua Support Ticket and see what they recommend. If you already haven't done that.

Otherwise you may need to upgrade to a Liquid CPU Cooler to maintain your processor below 70C if Noctua Support says those temperatures are normal for that specific model for your specific Processor.

High Quality Liquid CPU Coolers are designed for CPU Processors that are either Overclocked or have a high TDP Wattage. 

Otherwise, I am out of suggestions and someone else might be able to figure out why your CPU is running hot under load.

Adept III
Adept III

I am using HWInfo and Ryzen Master. In my observation, both temp reading software are not too far off each other. I run them one at a time, and both at the same time too. I am also on the latest X470F bios as well ( 5220).

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

What AIO you recommend for my Corsair 750D Airflow case? My Noctua NH D15s has the same performance or slightly better than 240mm AIO.

I think the stock voltage is the culprit here. Max is near 1.5V and everyday stuff is 1.4V - 1.5V.

CPU temp is sitting 45C to 49C in the BIOS.

0 Kudos