Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

vivek101
Adept I

Ryzen 5000 series CPU temperature concerns

Hello AMD Community,

Recently, I added a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU to my gaming computer, and I've observed that the temps are greater than I had anticipated. The CPU temperature might rise to up to 80°C during prolonged gaming sessions, which to seems me as a bit high.

I believed that the Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler I was using would be adequate for this CPU. The temps seem high even after I double-checked the thermal paste application and made sure all the fans were functioning properly.

Has anyone else had issues with the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs' temperatures? Is there anything I can do to optimize the cooling for this CPU or lower the temperature?

Any assistance or suggestions would be highly valued. I appreciate it in advance.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Dragokar
Miniboss

The 5800X is usually a bit on the high side, but 80 °C while gaming is still okay. AMD gives it a Tjmax for 90 °C.

The Hyper 212, no matter which reincarnation, is not on my fav list anymore. Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 or the Fuma 2 are great coolers and not that pricey, at least in germany.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I'm sorry but that cooler may not be the most appropriate for that CPU. Sure, its not that bad that kind of temps at gaming if you fire up something heavier you will get near the throttle zone. I would save a buck and spend later on on a beefier cooler if you case allows.

If you want future proof and no RGB, get a NH-D15 and you are ready even for the next AM5 CPU.

BTW, You can undervolt the CPU with negative offset values to shave a couple of ºC, been preaching this like crazy lately.

Brace yourselves, summer is coming!

The Englishman