cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen 5 5600x RAM Unable to run RAM at 3600 as advertised.

Hello all,

I am running a Ryzen 5 5600x with an MSI MPG X570 gaming edge wifi motherboard and a single kit of DDR4 G. Skills Trident Z 3600 Mhz 32GB (2 x 16GB) RAM. I am unable to reach 3600 Mhz as the RAM is advertised for. For that matter, I am maxed out at 3000 Mhz. I have checked RAM placement, updated BIOS of motherboard, used the Memory Try It and XMP profiles, and messed with the RAM voltages as I discovered online. Anything over just changing the RAM to 3000 Mhz leads to zero post and a red CPU indicator light on my motherboard. Also, I want to up front mention that I have a 750 W PSU with my system of the above components plus a an ASUS TUF RX 6700 XT, so I don't believe power should be the issue.

Any suggestions on what I may be missing. I am relatively new in PC building but have been obsessively searching for a solution. I searched online, read issue reviews, spoke to different tech personnel at my local Micro Center and really done anything I can to try to remedy this. I know that the 5600x is only rated for 3200 Mhz but have found that it is possible to go higher. But even I would be good with getting to 3200 Mhz. Yes, I know that bit of difference probably doesn't matter a ton but it is just driving me crazy.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Partially just wanted to rant so even if no solution comes I appreciate the forum to vent.

Ryzen 5 5600x| Asus RX 6700 XT Tuf OC | MSI MEG X570 Unify-X Max| G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 2x16 | Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB
Scottidoesnkno... or does he.
0 Likes
8 Replies
EsojX
Adept I

Hello,

Have you tried to manually input the memory timings in the BIOS? Match the four timings found on Trident Z's sticker.

Currently Traveling. Next time I am home I will give that a try.

Thank you,

Ryzen 5 5600x| Asus RX 6700 XT Tuf OC | MSI MEG X570 Unify-X Max| G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 2x16 | Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB

Check to see if your G-Skill RAM is listed on your MSI Motherboard QVL List for the 5000 series processors: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support#mem

Screenshot 2022-05-30 131440.png

From the QVL Iist I noticed that all 3600Mhz is supported at that speed.

What is the exact G-SKILL RAM Part number do you have?

Looking at your Motherboard specs for RAM Memory it supports speeds in excess of 4000Mhz:

Also make sure you have the Motherboard CPU-1 8 pin connected.

Also make sure you have both RAM Modules installed in DIMM Slots A2 and B2 for proper operation.

When you enter BIOS what speed does BIOS show after you configured the RAM to run at 3600Mhz?

Also I would CMOS CLEAR your BIOS to put back to its Default Settings and then just A-XMP the RAM and see if it shows and runs at the correct speed of 3600Mhz. You might have setting that is preventing the RAM from running faster than 3000Mhz.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 131440.pngScreenshot 2022-06-01 124724.png

If you have already done everything that is showing in your manual concerning BIOS than I suggest your open 3 Support Tickets:

One with AMD Support - Warranty: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

One with MSI Support to see if the RAM is compatible with your motherboard or your need to RMA the Motherboard to be checked

One with G-SKILL Support to find out what would prevent its RAM from running at its native speed of 3600Mhz. If they mention it depends on the Motherboard or CPU then open support tickets with both of them but they might also say it could be a defective RAM module.

Thank you so much for the very thorough steps to take. I will recheck those steps that I have already done and try some of the others that I haven't. I'll update on results when I get a chance.

Thank you,

SOLVED: via JayzTwoCents video "This PC was super unstable, here's what was causing it..."

So I ended up trying most of the above listed troubleshooting steps. I was really trying to avoid RMAing anything. 

I wanted to get a different motherboard just for the IO so I upgraded to the MSI MEG Unify-X Max X570. thought maybe that would solve the issue. The Unify-X Max only has DIMM slots (Still dual channel though). This actually became more of an issue because on the last motherboard (see above for specs) I could have dual channel and get it to 3000 Mhz with a 3600 Mhz kit. then on the new board couldn't even run dual channel because it wouldn't boot. Turned on, error coded to CPU light and random code that meant code saved for future use and wouldn't shut off unless i held the power button.

Single channel worked perfectly fine and allowed me to use 3600 Mhz. Tried other sticks of RAM and same thing. 

Then I saw the above the listed video from JayzTwoCents. I thought "that is almost exactly what I am having happen, but no way it will be that easy." for those that havent seen it the whole video is about how he overtightened his CPU cooler and it led to instability. Almost the same instability I was having on the old motherboard at least. His conclustion is that pins of the CPU are lifting or bridging removing certain connections. I was using the stock cooler for the 5600X. I tried to loosen it and didn't have any luck but I had been meaning to get an air cooler (AIO won't fit in my case) and also the video was stuck in my head. 

I bought a Be Cool Pure Rock Slim 2 Cooler. I bought it specifically because it fits the AMD CPU connector system (I know there are a ton of other that do that too, but I figured this system would prevent me from overtightening) and because it is cheap and I don't need anything excessive for serious overclocking. 

As soon I installed it and booted it with one RAM stick. Worked. Held my breath, turned off A-XMP profile 1 and shutdown to install the other RAM stick and BOOM! Worked!! I was so jacked. Then I tried A-XMP profile 1 again with both sticks and it rebooted perfectly.

Can't believe it was something that simple, but it was. So glad Jay did that video. Never ever would have thought of the cooler tension being the issue. He even mentions that in the video. 

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks for hearing me out. 

So I am back. yeah...the solution didn't stick. 

Booted up this morning ran for about 10 minutes and then shut it self off and boot looped about 4 or 5 times. Only way to get it to boot is to go down to single RAM stick (single channel). I am going to try to go down to 2 x 8 GB RAM sticks instead of my current 2 x 16 GB RAM sticks. I will update later.

Super disappointing.

0 Likes

No solution as of yet and any more advice would help. I used a new set of RAM (G. Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL18 2x8 GB kit) and got it to boot. About 5 minutes later it froze and then boot looped before settling into Error Code 0d on the motherboard with the Red CPU light showing. Tried 3200, tried stock settings, tried both A-XMP profiles and cleared Cmos each time. 

While doing this got a few times were it would boot and open into a windows repair screen. it would quickly close itself out of that. then boot to the MSI MEG logo for the motherboard and show a note that repair was occuring. Something about disk repair and that it could take up to an hour to repair. It rebooted after about 5 minutes and then allowed me to sign it but immediately froze and then shut off my screens and showed the same error code but with no red CPU light. I am running a brand new SSD as the boot drive so shouldn't be that. 

Is it possible that I just rolled a 1 and completely failed the silicon lottery?

Kind of at a loss. 

0 Likes

Then I saw the above the listed video from JayzTwoCents. I thought "that is almost exactly what I am having happen, but no way it will be that easy."

You do know that it is basically impossible to overtighten PGA CPUs? Unless you manage to break motherboard somehow. It is LGA socket problem, and possibly avoided within AM5 socket that will come out quite soon. 

Anyways. You could try to turn GDM mode ON in RAM timings. Because i, for example, cannot boot my 3600 32 GB kit without GDM or 2T set up. But i can OC same kit to 3800 without problems (but after 1933 FCLK i cannot get it to be stable, so... 3800 is my limit). Still need GDM or 2T to be on. 

Also Windows repair happens after 2 or 3 unexpected system shudowns in a row. It is authomatic recovery system. Happens a lot with borderline bad RAM configs. 

UPD: Yeah i even read your system config... Seems to be same issue as i had. 32 GB kit have 2 ranks memory sticks (x2), so you use Quad rank Dual channel setup. Teoretically it should work. But it seems that for 5600X running it without GDM it can be troublesome to sync 4 ranks of memory at that speed without help. 2 rank 2 channel should work without GDM easier (but it is max 16 GB basically). So you can set up GDM, and if it will be stable even overclock a bit.
But be careful with higher than 3800 frequency it is easy to hit FCLK instability (can be fixed with VDDG/VDDP voltages, but after 0.997V they don't seem to work for me even with AGESA 1.2.0.3c. After this AGESA they are hard limited to 1.000V in any BIOS version). That FCLK instability can be checked easily with HWINFO and it's WHEA errors line at very bottom. Anything except 0 is unacceptable. Some load like Prime95 or CB or OCCT, y-cruncher, LinX or even something else that hammers cache and memory controller will work. 

0 Likes