cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

otcompa
Adept I

Ryzen 5 5600X instability during high sustained CPU load with core performance boost on

Hi, I recently upgraded my CPU+motherboard to a Ryzen 5 5600X and a Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO over the weekend. Since then my computer has been shutting off/crashing (power straight up cut, not BSoD, can turn PC back on immediately after) during high sustained CPU loads. (high fps games, cinebench, etc)

I have been troubleshooting since then and in the process, I have ruled out a couple of potential issues. I initially suspected it was overheating, so I bought a new CPU cooler and now my temperatures under max load is 75 degrees Celsius. Then I did a fresh reinstall of Windows. Finally, I tried updating my BIOS to F11g and still no dice. 

Eventually, I found out that turning off core performance boost in the BIOS has allowed my system to be stable at high sustained CPU loads. However, this disables the turbo frequency and therefore the all cores are permanently stuck at 3.7 GHz or below, never to go higher. 

I am unsure what to do now and help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x8 3200MHz CL16

GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 3X

PSU: Corsair CX-M 650w (had this in my previous build and was working fine, don't think it's the PSU)

BIOS version: F11g

1 Solution
otcompa
Adept I

I looked into it more and found someone with the same CPU+mobo combo that had a similar issue but with XMP instead. Apparently, having both CPB and XMP on will cause instability, and either one of them off will allow the system to be stable. I feel pretty dumb for not checking that first. So now it seems more of a motherboard issue since I've had XMP enabled with my previous mobo+cpu without issues. Hopefully there's a BIOS update that allows it to be stable at max speed. Time to cancel the order of my 5800x...

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Ya
Journeyman III

I have the similar problem except I even can't POST with 4x8 gb ram.

The mobo b550m Aorus pro. Bios - 3 latest one by one (f11g currently).

But I can POST and boot only with 2 or 3 sticks and never with all 4. With all 4 it spinning coolers like crazy and no result. Or post but not see in bios 2 modules from 4.

Very strange. That is not what you expect buying new processor.

I already read almost all the internet and found that there are many people have this trouble with new 5600x.

The same problem with gigabyte, asus and msi motherboards and different sets of memory.

It looks like something in new CPU memory controller is unfinished and works bad.

What have I do? Return the CPU back?

0 Likes

Wow that sucks. As the other poster mentioned he is having problems too. Looks like this time around is having some real growing pains. Zen 1 and 2 had theirs too but got sorted by about 6 months but that is a long time to wait for a fix. Not saying it will be that long. Who know. 

Just report it to your motherboard maker and to AMD here too: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

If it is more than you care to deal with you can return it and try again in future months when hopefully they get it sorted. 

I really am sorry to hear you are having this issue as I really hoped AMD would do a bit better. 

Talk to AMD maybe there are just some bad CPUs and another if RMA'd would not have the same issue. 

Good Luck and sorry again for your trouble. 

0 Likes

Are you using Windows Balanced power plan, and also do not have Ryzenmaster installed ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I had Ryzen Master installed. Power plan was default (balanced pretty sure) for the most part. I did change to the high performance power plan halfway through testing to see if changing that would help anything though (spoiler: it didn't)

I ended up ordering a 5800X and will return this as soon as it arrives. I'm pretty glad the store I bought it from has a good return policy. Also a little off-topic rant: It's a huge inconvenience to RMA with AMD for me cause you have to go without it for a week to months, especially if I need the computer for school/work but I guess in most cases people who are using RMA straight up don't have a CPU that at least works to some extent.

Yes RMA sucks. One of the reasons I buy my stuff at Micro Center. I buy a lot of their house brand stuff as they replace it on the spot if you have an issue. There extended warranty stuff is pretty cheap too. Then if you have a problem you just walk in and the replace it without the RMA headaches. This is something brick and mortar stores are still very good for. 

misterj
Big Boss

otcompa, I recommend more power - perhaps 800 Watts.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

My system definitely isn't drawing anywhere close to 800 watts. 

0 Likes

I doubt that you are drawing more than 800 too but, knowing that you are using an older power supply and now looking at the specs for your actual graphics card it is 650 watts and being an  OC edition that pulls more power its peak amps can be higher than reference. If you were by chance right on the edge with your old processor or as you find doesn't happen with the new processor with PBO the possibility of not enough power does make a whole lot of sense. It really is a good possibility and can be checked without going out to buy a new one.

Download OCCT free diagnostic software from OCBASE dot COM. You can test the system, it can put the GPU and CPU under full load and show what power draw is and if it is falling short under load. You can run another app like HWINFO at the same time if you like to watch the voltage in real time as OCCT does the test too. 

Worth looking into. It is quick and free to see if it is an issue. 

Worth mentioning and I re-use plenty of power supplies in new builds too, but they do begin to degrade from day one. Just like a shock absorber on your car, little by little they get worse until you have to replace them. 

Your power supply when new is at the minimum for your system hardware. It is certainly possible if it has even degrade a little it can't hit the peak amps your system requires. 

It really is usually much better to go about 100 watts or more over what you need when buying a PSU. 

This all being said it most certainly may have nothing to do with the PSU either but running that test will help figure it out. 

Good Luck!

I was kinda vague about it but this PSU is only a month old. Not new enough to not know any problems with it by now, not old enough for it to degrade unless I'm super unlucky lol. I've been slowly upgrading my PC over the course of the last 1-2 months. It's worth noting that my system is still unstable (with CPB on) even with 0 load on the GPU but I'll definitely check it out still. Thanks!

Just because the PSU is new doesn't mean it can't be defective or that your system really is pulling more power. 

OCCT should be able to show you if that is the case. 

I will say this I have had more electronics be bad when new then ones that fail even after years. 

They seem like they are either bad right of the bat or last forever most the time.

0 Likes

You bet! I hope you get it sorted with as little more hassle as possible. Sucks when you spend big money and it doesn't work. 

It is how I ended up here the first time too!

otcompa
Adept I

I looked into it more and found someone with the same CPU+mobo combo that had a similar issue but with XMP instead. Apparently, having both CPB and XMP on will cause instability, and either one of them off will allow the system to be stable. I feel pretty dumb for not checking that first. So now it seems more of a motherboard issue since I've had XMP enabled with my previous mobo+cpu without issues. Hopefully there's a BIOS update that allows it to be stable at max speed. Time to cancel the order of my 5800x...

I certainly would not consider it dump as they should both work together. You might want to make sure that XMP is really applying the right settings for your ram. Contact support or your memory maker and get the best manual timings from them and apply them in your bios manually and see if that changes the stability issue. That way you can avoid XMP and still get the memory running at XMP speed. 

0 Likes
Jazzinplayer
Adept II

im having the same issue actually, with an X570 aorus elite. Pc shuts down on High fps games. Benchmarks are no problem. 

I even ran it with optimized default settings. No OC whatsoever and it was the same. Im resintalling windows from scratch now since I saw some errors on the event viewer. Deleting everything on the system and drives. gonna start clean to see if is doing it again. 

Makes no sense tho, YT reviewers are working with the Aorus Master which should have same Bios and they have not reported any issues. 

0 Likes

Jazzinplayer, you probably do not have the same issue as the OP.  To receive help, please open a new thread with all your information.  There seems to be a real mini-epidemic of under-powered systems lately.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I created the following post with full explanation and partial solution. 

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/system-instable-5600x-crashes-on-games-with-auto-settings-cb...

0 Likes

Sorry, Jazzinplayer,  your link does not work.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

It's the bios issue.  I noticed you flashed F11g which has SAM (Smart Access Memory) enabled.  Gigabyte now has F11i, but the problem could still be there.  See if you can find F11d and flash it instead.

0 Likes

OP marked his answer as correct (in his situation), although i have both enabled(no oc yet) and not one error from install.

Anyone with a problem should start a new thread, so far i have to agree with @pokester  that both options enabled should work.

Perhaps people with issues should post pics of bios settings.

ps: my first amd cpu in self build and i like it (from  9600k).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

No idea what you guys are doing with your CPUs, I've had my 5600X for about a month now and have it PBO overclocked +250Mhz and curve set to -25 with CPB on Auto. It boosts totally fine and stays completely stable under high loads. I've also tested +375Mhz boost on all cores and I was getting over 5Ghz, again fully stable albeit the temps reach past mid 70s.

B550M Aorus Pro (F11 BIOS)

650W PSU

Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz CL16

-----
B550 Unify - 5800X3D - 7900XTX - 32GB RAM
-----
0 Likes