cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fobicboy
Adept I

Ryzen 5 5600G - Losing Video

Been losing video for the last month. I originally thought my graphics card was going bad but recent outage conditions may not reflect that. My original graphics card worked for about 11 months when it started to lose video in July of 2023.  I went ahead and replaced it with an ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 4GB and that GPU worked fine for about 3 weeks. Then it began lose video often after the PC goes to sleep and sometimes at start up.  During the video outages I would switch to the on-board graphics from my mother board.  That was working fine until recently when the PC went to sleep and video would come back on.  I had to do a hard restart (power off) to get video again.  

I recently put in a replacement GPU, an AMD RX550 after about 2 days of use the video went out after the PC went to sleep. I turned power off and did a re-start. No video from the new card.  Went to the AMD website and loaded the latest drivers and still no video. I had to remove the card and use the motherboard graphics.   This is the 3rd graphics card that has stopped working, it is not likely that all these cards are bad.

My questions are:

1. How do I differentiate between a video software problem vs hardware?
  2. Any suggestion to help narrow my problem down would be appreciated.  

System Configuration:

OS - Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

BaseBoard Manufacturer - Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Model -     X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics, 3901 Mhz, 6 Core(s) , BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. F35, 7/8/2021 SMBIOS

Graphics – AMD RX550, X002SLA023

Memory – Crucial BL2K16G36C16U4B , 32GB

Power Supply  _ Corsair 650X / 650Watts

8 Replies
fobicboy
Adept I

An edit to the above post.  My BIOs version is F36 not F35

Thanks

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Windows has a history of failing to come out of sleep mode properly.  I too have experienced my computer going to sleep and then it's unable to provide video when coming back up, even though the fans and such are running.  I have to do a hard shutdown and then restart to restore the computer to normal operation.

So my solution has been to stop it from going into sleep mode.  You can configure Windows to keep the system running for many hours before it goes to sleep.  You can let the monitor go blank after an hour and Windows on my machine is fine with that.  But I am generally streaming music during the day so that keeps my computer from going into sleep mode.  If you don't use your system for long periods of time, consider just shutting it down when it's not needed.  Otherwise, keep something running in the background.  I don't think you have problems with your hardware.  I think it is a Windows issue they still haven't resolved after all these years.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Thank you for the prompt reply.  My problem could be windows related, I am still researching. I will reconfigure my system to not go to sleep for now. I still have the question about my GPUs not working.  Right now only the on board graphics work and allow PC use.  I will test windows non sleep mode and let the display blank after a short period.  I will update and let everyone know the results.   Thanks again…

fobicboy
Adept I

An update,  not allowing windows to sleep seems to be working. So far no video loss using the mother board graphics.  I went ahead and loaded the latest Bios to my mother board.  My plan now is to re-install my GPU and see if I have stability.

Have you tried reinstalling video cards? And get the latest driver for the gpu. I hope we find the solution to the problem together I will read more on the web about this problem. Possibly due to PCI x16 slot on motherboard,possibly faulty slot

I re-installed the AMD graphics card about 1.5 weeks ago.  The changes I made are:

1. Installed the latest motherboard BIOs.
  2. Configured windows not to sleep. Displays goes out after 1/2 hour.
  3. Loaded the latest video drivers for my AMD graphic card.

The system seemed to be stable for about one week, no problems.  Then once on start up the display would not come on, I was getting no output from the graphics card.  I changed the cables to the mother board graphics and that did not work either.  I cycled all power off then on and did a re-start,  my GPU then came back and things have been working normally. Since I had that one hiccup I am not sure I can declare this problem fixed.  My plan is to use the PC for a while longer to see if this “no display” problem rears its head again. 

Note that before I made the above changes the 2nd PCI slot also gave me the same problem.  Since I changed 3 things I am not sure what fixed the general problem. Since it did start all of sudden almost a month and ½ ago  I figure it is software related.   Windows is always doing updates to my PC so it might have been something they did that does not work with the BIOs I had loaded.  The problem with that theory is I have another PC with the same windows version and an old Dell BIOs.  That PC is fine.

I invite you here on this forum to ask a question here

Best Motherboards - 2023 Best Motherboard Guide (bestofmotherboard.com)

We have to try on several sites. It's a strange problem anyway

and |Tom's hardware| is good forum for questions 

it's a difficult problem I think the CPU would be the culprit