Processors

pamare
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600x Asus Prime x470 Pro won't boot

So,

I bought components with this configuration

- (CPU) AMD Ryzen 5 3600x

- (MB) Asus Prime x470 Pro

I bought Athlon 200GE (or something like that) and updated BIOS to 5022 (newest currently). After boot with Athlon, it worked - I installed windows 10 even to test it.

And after I switched CPUs (instead of Athlon I switched to 3600x) computer won't start. No signal, no ASUS starting screen, literally nothing - just fans rotating (CPU and from case) + glowing RGB from MB.

Any ideas what now?

0 Likes
7 Replies

The latest BIOS for that board is 5220, but I imagine you are already using it because there is no 5022. I would suggest trying version 5216. If it doesn't work, then I would suspect a faulty CPU.

Hi. you are correct, I tried 5220 not 5022. And I tried even 5216 and 5007.

Then I bought another CPU. This time Ryzen 5 3600. And it did not work either.

So current progress is that I am changing motherboard.

pamare wrote:

Hi. you are correct, I tried 5220 not 5022. And I tried even 5216 and 5007.

Then I bought another CPU. This time Ryzen 5 3600. And it did not work either.

So current progress is that I am changing motherboard.

I have been lucky with MSI which seem to work with anything I plug into them.

Save the Athlon CPU as it can be handy when you have a board that has an old BIOS that needs to be updated.

My MSI X570 does not even need a CPU to update the BIOS, it can load it from a USB stick. All that is needed is power and a stick of RAM.

0 Likes

Quick question, what GPU are you currently using and have your tried doing a clear cmos just before turning on your system with your new R5 3600 on it?

0 Likes
kn3xis
Journeyman III

Also have Asus x470 Pro, running with AMD Ryzen 5 3600. Worked fine out of box, pretty sure running 4804, but possible 5204. Tried updated to 5220, black screen, no bios, no windows, thought it bricked my mobo. Did the RMA, received mobo back, no boot. Got my hands on a Ryzen 1400, bios shows version 4804, tried 5204, 5216, and 5220, none of them will work with my 3600, all work with a 1400. Not sure how to proceed. Don't have money to purchase an x570 chipset to test if CPU is dead somehow.

new ROMs are supposed to have better memory compatibility but it seems that they have come up short

I suggest using relaxed timing with DDR4 and see if that gets the platform running stable.

Might need to use the BIOS reset with the new CPU installed

0 Likes

Same here - the X470 prime pro won't boot with any BIOS I trow at it combined with a Ryzen 5 3600.

It boots perfectly fine with a 200G - and YES, I am using an external PCI-E graphics card (albeit an older generation)

0 Likes