cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

nooneimportant
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 5 3600, what should be the normal idle temp with stock cooler?

Hi, I had the same issue as you with the wraith stealth cooler and later upgraded to this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082V7TCSB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which brought my idle temps down to the mid 30's. I don't think your cpu is damaged by any means, hope this helps. Before upgrading my idle temps were around 55.

PabzRoz
Journeyman III

It's the cooler. Trust me. Get rid of that thing and upgrade and the problems solved. It's junk. Seen so many people in your situation thinking something is wrong because of such high temps even though other people with the stock cooler get lower temps but every single time when they upgrade the cooler the issue is non existent and temps normalize. Nothing is wrong with your processor or the build. 

dehart420
Journeyman III

Running pretty much the same set up- case and everything and Idle around 50 degrees celcius with the stock cooler and 4 case fans

The high temps do not go above 76 degrees Celsius tho

0 Likes
vick
Adept I

@dehart420 wrote:

Running pretty much the same set up- case and everything and Idle around 50 degrees celcius with the stock cooler and 4 case fans

The high temps do not go above 76 degrees Celsius tho

Are you using the same motherboard (B450 Aorus Pro WiFi) ?
I'm starting to think there's something wrong with these motherboards....
0 Likes
BrainsCollector
Adept III

I have noticed the same thing with aorus motherboards. They suck. I have 3600 and I bought the same to my work, only difference is mobo - tomahawk max vs b550 aorus elite. On my own tomahawk I'm reaching 4.2Mhz without any problem using 1.17v  vcore  on offset. On my work b550 I hardly can get 4.1 (not fully stable) with 1.2v vcore.  That's the reason, my next motherboard will be MSI, maybe aorus has best looking motherboards (budget) but obviously they suck with bios. The same goes with every other settings. 

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Why would any of you expect identical numbers out of any Ryzen chip? 4.1, 4.2 both decent numbers and you all are messing with the 3600 vs. the 3600x and yes, it makes a ton of difference. For one you have 65W product vs. a 95W. Then you expect that it will OC to meet or exceed the 3600x based on a few YouTube videos from Gamers Nexus and such, where even there he says results will vary based on the quality of the silicon. Then we have the issue of mobo brand, MSI is not good. They run "daisy chain" memory vs. Gigabyte's "T" topology, I won't explain this, you can search it to find out just how important that is. Your RAM, even if it's the same from board to board isn't tuned with custom sub-timings to get the most out of the sticks. Then we have people running B450's????, expecting super OC abilities.... Let alone the super mid-range B550 boards. Run the X570's, set your RAM up good, don't use non-X CPU's that rate 45W less and expect huge gains or even stability when overclocking. It's a novelty sport to get one of those chips to OC or to even get past 4.0 let alone 4.2. Wow.

"It worked before you broke it!"
vick
Adept I

Update:

I have tested with the Cooler master Hyper TX3: Same idle temperature around 50°C...

The TX3 can control better the high temps (on load) but not on idle, is exactly the same as stock cooler.

Few days ago a friend of mine lent me his Ryzen 3 3200G and after testing it:

- Ryzen 3 3200G (on the same hardware and case, no changes)

- iGPU deactivated in BIOS.

- Stock cooler (WRAITH STEALTH) <-- belongs to the R 5 3600.

- Very bad thermal paste (the good thermal paste is over, I need to buy more)

- Room temperature: 29°C, we are in summer now

Result: Ryzen 3 3200G with stock cooler: 34.5°C on idle.

Conclusion: Ryzen 5 3600 defective.

I'm opening a RMA right now...

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Have you installed the Agesa 1.2.0.2 BIOS update released on 4/9/21? That dropped voltages/temps a lot on my 5600X and my other rig the 3600X. It also allowed for much better PBO and CO operation. The CO I leave alone, but did try it with this release to see if it functioned better. 

Comparing a 3200G to a 3600 is apple's to orange's. So you conclusion is going to waste about 3-6 weeks to find out the temps are the same. Try the new BIOS first. Also the TX3 is a $30-40 cooler with a terrible cold plate design. You need to lap that flat because they have the heat pipes exposed. There's some videos on this subject. Thermal paste with a Wm/K of 3 or 4 is fine for stock, even mild OC (depending on voltage). 

When buying a cooler, look for one's with a solid cold plate, with no exposed heat pipes. These tend to have a very even mounting surface. GPU cooler are famous for having exposed heat pipes in their coolers resulting in hot spots and a fine scuffing pad across it until the scratches are evenly across the plate make for a good 5-10c difference (up to 20F).

But what do I know? 25 years building custom PC's, mostly AMD and selling them to gamers and Fortune 500 companies.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
pat_2004
Adept II

I just would like to share my experience that my Ryzen 3500X would idle initially at around 50 -51C with stock cooler. I asked a question on this forum and later for my reference also opened a ticket with AMD support. They asked me to do several BIOS changes. Initially it did not work.

I asked AMD Tech Support a pointed question, What is  the normal idle temperature for Ryzen 3000 series CPUs? I did tell them that I am on stock cooler. They never answered that question. When the stated value by me (and as reported by Ryzen master) was about 51 - 54 C they asked me to initiate RMA.

However with Covid19 challenges RMA was going to be very long and tiring. So I further experimented with BIOS updates, fan curves PBO,CBS, Voffset and such things and brought it down to 46-47 and told them so. Then their reply was 46 - 47 is  acceptable and I should continue using these settings. Of course, then I don’t get what I paid for, but I am anyways not comfortable with OC so disabling Core boost was ok with me.

So from my interaction with AMD tech support, I think they considered anything above 50 - 51C as not common or normal. Just that they never said so explicitly. I can infer that from the fact that the need for RMA came from their side. I never intended to ask for it.

Just recently I updated new BIOS that features Agesa 1.2.0.2 and now my idle is further down to 42 - 43. In fact I have another question on voltages now, but it’s pending mod approval.

0 Likes
vick
Adept I

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Have you installed the Agesa 1.2.0.2 BIOS update released on 4/9/21? That dropped voltages/temps a lot on my 5600X and my other rig the 3600X. It also allowed for much better PBO and CO operation. The CO I leave alone, but did try it with this release to see if it functioned better. 

That agesa is not available for my motherboard, currently I have 1.2.0.0, I have updated the BIOS 3 times now, and each time I update the BIOS the situation is worst, after the last update the idle temp increased, before I had spikes on 47-48° for moments, with last update the idle temp is practically fixed in 50°C into Windows and into the BIOS.

I don't think a BIOS update can fix an excess of 15°C, in last BIOS it states only adding support for 4000 or 5000 series, so I don't think AMD could fix any issues with past generations, as usual the past generations are not taking in count anymore once a new generation appears.

-------------

I contacted AMD support in past days and they said 50°C is not normal, after making some BIOS changes suggested (same changes I have done yet) they said:

"I suspect might be due to the potential hardware failure of your CPU or other hardware components of your system .in order to check whether the issue is completely related to the CPU or other hardware components of your system. if feasible I request you to check your CPU with another good known system and check the issue status."

That's why I tested with the 3200G, now I'm completely sure the motherboard is not causing that overheating, this 3600 processor is defective.

I tested the 3600 deactivating all cores selectively, and even with only 2 cores active (you can not disable all cores on each CCX) the temperatures are exactly the same, it's ridiculous...

------------

I know the TX3 is not the best cooler out there, but I made extensive tests in the old PC (with an A10-7800, the same I'm using right now to write this) and the cooler is working perfectly, it seems any cooler will get the same results, I tested the 3200G using the stock cooler of the 3600 and a thermal paste that is around 1 or 2 W/mK max, so it shows perfectly how the cooler is not the problem.

The 3200G is a past generation CPU, is supposed the newer generations should be better not worst...

-------------

I don't have a thermometer, but if I touch the base of the cooler with the 3600 it feels really hot, is for sure it is at 50°C or more, and the VRM heatsink is too hot too, the CPU is drawing too much current even doing nothing with 0.5% CPU usage, probably an internal short circuit, with the time it will only cause a decreased life of the CPU itself or the motherboard. With the 3200G both the cooler and VRM section are so cool with less than 35°C.

I'm not going to accept a CPU with 50°C on idle, is ridiculous, any temperature above 40°C is not acceptable, it only shows AMD is doing very bad quality processors, probably this is the last time I buy AMD processors...

0 Likes