cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

godlysanti
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600 gets extremely hot while playing games/stress testing, 90C while running Assassins creed, mid to high 80s while on valorant, and up to 93C while stress testing, is this normal?

I have been using my cpu for around 3 weeks, and i don't believe these temperatures are normal, they get extremely hot, and everywhere I can find, it says that it should be running max at 80 under load. 

I really don't know as I can't find very specific answers about these temperatures.

So my question is, should i spend more money on cooling? Or are these temperatures normal?

I'm running a:
ryzen 5 3600, factory settings.
B450 Tomahawk Max.

2070 Super.

4 Replies
feretier
Journeyman III

Hello,

I have the same CPU but on a different motherboard ( b550 chipset).

Ryzen 3000 series are running very hot, even on idle witch seems very strange for someone not used to these temperatures ( like you and me). I never installed the stock cooler provided by AMD because i knew cpu was hot.So i installed a Hyper tx3 evo ( around 30 euros in my contry) and as i'm writing idle temp are around 33 ( AMD ryzen master) to 58 °C ( CPUID monitor) and go up to 76° C while gaming. Stock settings with AMD high pertformance plan for windows.

But here is the thing :

I'm reading and watching a lot of confusing infos about Ryzen cpu, AMD seems to say that it's perfectly find to have high temp, others are chocked and strongly advise to undervolt the CPU if rising the temperatures you are talking about.

I tryed to undervolt and yes it lowers the temperatures a lot !

But then again reading differents opinions about voltage, motherboard manufacturers, bios, etc...

In my opinion you should not continue using your computer with those temps.

1- Make sure your case have a good airflow, check your cable management, change the fans if needed

2- By a good cooler for your CPU, or even switch to Water cooled.

3- In last resort try playing around with voltage but ... in last resort only. It is very simple to play with but i can't figure out if it's good for the Cpu at long term.

0 Likes

Your processor's Maximum Operating Temperature is 95C. When it starts reaching or has reached or surpassed 95C it will automatically start to throttle (Reduce Frequencies) to lower the temperature to 95C or below.

Those temps might be normal depending on what CPU Cooler you have installed and if it is installed correctly.

Depends if  the CPU Cooler you have installed is powerful enough to maintain temps in the mid to low 80C under heavy loads.

The Wraith Stealth comes bundled with the Ryzen 5 3600 which is fine for normal computing but possibly under heavy loads it may give you those types of temperatures.

I would try to upgrade the CPU Cooler to a stronger version and see if the temperatures are maintain cooler under heavy stress.

To rule out poor air circulation in your computer case, remove the side panel where the CPU Cooler is located and see if temperatures are lower under the same heavy loads or not.

90 would be higher than I would be comfortable with. IMHO the cooler that ships with 3600 is pretty lack luster. And there seems to be a pretty big variance on 3600 processors in temps people get with many reporting very high temps. Likely as so many of them are chips that didn't make the binning to be better chips. That being said, as you already found adding an aftermarket cooler quickly fixes this. I wish the cooler that came with them was better the stealth is just bad. Their Prism cooler for their 125 watt processor is much better but still not as good as most aftermarket solutions. 

tittyabr
Journeyman III

I have a ryzen 5 3600 on a b550 aorus pro ac motherboard and a GTX 1660 ti paired with it. I used a coolermaster ma610p and was still getting very high temperatures, like 90 degrees while gaming. I even temperature related shutdown when the cpu temperature shot up to 107 degrees while stress testing. Cinebench r20 score was 3617. Turns out the precision boost feature was pushing too much voltage to the cpu, like 1.468 V. Turned off the precision boost in bios, set a custom fan curve max 75%, set the voltage to 1.172 V in BIOS (bios version F10) and overclocked the cpu to 4200 MHz. Cinebench r20 score of 3825, max temp. 75.5 degrees while running Cinebench, 77.8 degrees while running handbrake, 72.5 degrees while playing ac odyssey in a closed, low ventilation room, 67.5 degrees when playing in a ventilated room with fan, 72 degrees in aida 64 stress test. Prime 95 small fft pushed it to 85 but Prime 95 is not a load you will ever face in real life. It was also stable in occt overnight. I also played rdr 2, ac origins, gta 5. Did a whole lot of rendering for a youtube channel. Never experienced any slowdown or crashes.

I believe AMD improved their quality of silicon as manufacturing process matured which enables the 3600 to hold higher clocks at a much lower voltage. But the board partners did not reduce the amount of voltage supplied. Hence this situation. For me, undervolting and overclocking the cpu at the same time was the way to go. Try it and let me know.

0 Likes