cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Lachrymogenic
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3400G "AMD APU" Rapid Framerate Drop over time.

Ryzen Vega 11 Graphics SIGNIFICANT FRAMERATE DROP

Hello there. I would really like someone to reply to this, it seems as if most posts on this forum with this topic don't get that many replies.

Recently, I built a PC with ASROCK B450M RV4 and Ryzen 5 3400G with Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB X 2 RAM. I decided to play some games on it, and it seems remarkably well for the games I want to play. It runs Minecraft with Chocapic13's V7 High Shaders at above 60 fps! Which is awesome. It also plays CSGO at 100 FPS!

However. I have been noticing a very STRANGE Issue, recently. After a while playing CSGO, atleast the length of a wingman match or halfway through a comp game, the framerate just decides to suddenly... drop. Significantly.

It goes from 100 fps to 20 fps immediately and gets locked there. I first thought this was a driver issue, but I am using amdgpu (no proprietary) and its fully updated, I even went so far as to update the linux kernel to the latest kernel and still, the framerate just suddenly drops.

Now, I am wondering if this is a hardware issue or a software issue, due to the fact that whenever I REBOOT THE PC, framerates return to normal again, but for a very short time. I checked if the CPU was overheating, but temps are always near 25 to 30, with no sign of overheating. I would rather not have to restart my pc every single time I want to play a different game so I can get the framerates I need.

Do I absolutely HAVE to use proprietary drivers? Because I am going to try that next, and if I get the same issues I will update this post.

So, basically... My FPS decreases after a certain amount of time and returns to normal if I reboot, why is this? Is this a hardware issue?

Please help me, Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Reply

I understand the frustration and don't know if it is a hardware shortcoming or not. I can't speak to how heat is even measured on these across the die. I would certainly think it is possible that the sensor could be more of a cpu part of the dies temp and not the GPU side. So maybe one is beginning to throttle over time to keep temps down. It certainly would explain the temperature dipping. I have never liked the promoting of APU's being good gamers for desktops. You are always better off with discrete graphics. 

I would talk to AMD support about the issue. Maybe they can offer advice. The more that complain the better chance at least next gen might be better. We may soon know. Anyway contact AMD support here and sorry for your troubles:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes