cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dallasweeks
Adept I

Ryzen 5 1600 YD1600BBAFBOX not booting up

I decided to build my first system in a long time today and being a bit rusty I spent a good while going over lots of different options cross referencing every spec to try and cover all the bases, however after the build I'm afraid to say my system did not boot.

I double checked all connections and made sure there are no errors with the setup and am now left with what seems to be a compatibility issue, unfortunately I don't have any others systems to 'trial and error' in any way so was hoping I might get some help here.

My processor: Ryzen 5 1600 (YD1600BBAFBOX)

Motherboard: Asrock A320M-HDV

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16BG (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4

Evo Labs E-500ATX 500W PSU

If anyone knows f any compatibility issue I would be very greatfull as Im wondering what part to buy first try and eliminate the problem yet I don't fancy having to buy anything extra if I can help it.

0 Likes
8 Replies

This is the only Patriot RAM listed on your Motherboard's QVL List for RAM MEMORY - Summit Ridge Processors: ASRock > A320M-HDV 

You didn't mention what GPU Card you have installed. If you have a very modern GPU card it is possible your 500 watt PSU may not be strong enough. But still it should still boot up regardless.

What error messages are you getting from your Motherboard's Trouble LEDS, or CODES, or BEEPS when you power up?

Do a Clear CMOS to put your BIOS back into "Default" and see if it boots up.

Remove all RAM Modules except one and see if it boots up. Sometimes with two or more installed it may not be compatible.

0 Likes

Hi, thank you for your help, it turns out that firstly I assumed my onboard graphics and cpu were enough to feed my monitor and for that I didnt install graphics card (now I have), secondly  I did need to take one strip of memory out and it booted straight away.

Again I realy appreciate your help.

This current thread here at AMD Forums might be useful for you to read which concerns having 2 RAM modules not being compatible similar to your case: Board wont boot with 2 sticks of ram (not working dual channel) 

Also your Processor isn't a APU (CPU with Integrated Graphics) and your Motherboard doesn't have built in Integrated Graphics. So the only way to get Video from your motherboard is by installing a APU  or a separate GPU Card.

This is the Specs of your motherboard concerning RAM Memory and various Ryzen Processors: ASRock > A320M-HDV 

0 Likes

did you install a video card, its needed with that CPU

0 Likes
merdiso
Journeyman III

Another possible problem would be the fact that what CPU you got is actually a 12nm Ryzen 1600, a new revision which may very well be a rebranded 2600, that also comes with the Wraith Stealth cooler - the original 14nm one is YD1600BBAEBOX.

Because of that, you may need a newer BIOS on that motherboard, assuming it is the original one from 2017.

0 Likes

merdiso wrote:

Another possible problem would be the fact that what CPU you got is actually a 12nm Ryzen 1600, a new revision which may very well be a rebranded 2600, that also comes with the Wraith Stealth cooler - the original 14nm one is YD1600BBAEBOX.

Because of that, you may need a newer BIOS on that motherboard, assuming it is the original one from 2017.

That is unlikely and depending on when the OP purchased his motherboard that he should have an updated BIOS.

Some RAM is a bit flakey and custom settings are needed to be able to get a to be machine stable

0 Likes
dallasweeks
Adept I

Thank you Guys for you responses, as it turns out my motherboard (as previously mentioned) did not support the memory I bought as 16GB , however would run with just one strip in the machine, not happy with this I decided to buy the next board up (B450) which did list my memory as compatible, but to cut along story short all of these common issues  and suggestions completely blinded me from the fact the one of the RAM strips was faulty, took it back to supplier  where they happily changed it, so now i'm up and running fully, thanks again.

When I had a bad RAM MEMORY I had many BSODs especially when installing software or running software.  Some freezing but mainly the computer crashing to a BSOD screen.

Glad you got it working and with a upgraded Motherboard.  You should mark you last reply as "Correct" to let other know what fixed your issue.

Take care.

0 Likes