Hi guys, I recently built a new computer:

• Ryzen 5 3600x
  • asrock steel legend x570
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card
  • Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Watching the temperatures at idol it bounces from about 35 to 50 degrees it seems to boost up to 4.4mhz which instantly raises the temp 10 degrees  then come down to 4.1/3.9mhz and the temp comes down. Is this normal?

When I run prime95 the temp spikes quickly to about 75 degrees then it settles in at about 4.2mhz and the temp comes down to about 65 degrees and slowly goes up with some occasional spikes followed by it coming back down again.

I can only run Prime95 for about 5-10 minutes and then the whole system crashes. 

I don't have any extra overclock settings on the system it is set to the default motherboard stuff except the Ram which I put to 3600mhz and turned on xmp profile.

Is there something I'm missing, why is the system crashing and why are the temperatures so all over the place? Did I get a bad Processor?

I have replaced the thermal paste to arctic because i thought it would be that but it's exactly the same.

note: the southbridge sits at 64 degrees as well? 

UPDATE: I've changed a-tuning to standard mode and the computer is running at 2200mhz and not going above that and the temperature is still spiking 10 degrees every few seconds.at idle

Watching HDMonitor the voltages for VID#0-5 are bouncing constantly as well every few seconds from 0.9V too 1.475V as well. Does 1.475 V seem a bit high even when I was overclocking my fx-6300 I only ever put it up to 1.35V? 

*Degrees Celsius 

0 Likes
5 Replies

Your temperature and voltage are absolutely fine as the Ryzen chips do spike up in both respects during normal usage.

So your crashing in Prime 95 isn't because of overheating.

Is your RAM listed on your motherboard's QVL so that is fully compatible?

Also can you try running your PC with just 1 stick of RAM at a time to see if it is the 4 sticks causing the problem or if any of them are faulty.

Yo will need to read your motherboard manual to see which slot the single stick goes into.

Andy

The QVL for the mother board goes up to 4666+(OC) for the matisse but only 3200 without (OC) which i'm guessing means the highest I'm supposed to put in is 3200mhz and overclock it and the 3600mhz i've put in isn't actually supported? 

AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Matisse) support DDR4 4666+(OC) / 4400(OC) / 4300(OC) / 4266(OC) / 4200(OC) / 4133(OC) / 4000(OC) / 3866(OC) / 3800(OC) / 3733(OC) / 3600(OC) / 3466(OC) / 3200 / 2933 / 2667 / 2400 / 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

0 Likes

Ok so digging into the qvl, your right it isn't on the list, and there is nothing on the list that actually has 3600 with 32gb ram through all the different brands. Sorry for my lack of knowledge I've never really known much about ram, the part picker program I use usually makes sure everything is compatible so I didn't even look into it. I will still test the individual sticks to make sure they are all functioning properly tonight if i get a chance. Do you think i should consider returning the ram and getting one off the qvl? can it cause damage to my system?

0 Likes

It won't cause damage and it may still work even. 

It just means that it hasn't been tested by the manufacturer so it might not work.  

These Ryzen chips are a lot more sensitive to RAM than their Intel counter parts and so crashes, freezing & BSOD are often linked to RAM.  

Andy

papagee
Journeyman III

I had the same issues.  I resolved it by installing the Ryzen Chipset Drivers.  You’ll still have don’t fluctuations during some tasks, but it’s so much better with the drivers installed.  Also, use the Ryzen master to monitor your cou temps.  Third’s party tools do not work well with the latest chips. 

0 Likes