cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

poxman
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3600x CPU fan throttling.

I just upgraded from the 1600x to the 3600x and the moment I started my PC, the stock Wraith CPU cooler was working at full speed. I tried to change the settings on the mobo for smart fan but nothing seems to work. If I put my old AMD Wraith cooler from the 1600x, it just seems to work perfectly and silently. I noticed the older Wraith coolers have a copper round plate which makes better contact with the CPU while the newer Wraith coolers don't have it. In my opinion this might be the problem, a problem for many consumers. I did temperature tests. The moment I open an application, the temperatures jump with 20 degrees and the fan just tries to cool it down as fast as possible which results in the throttling of the fan. Anyone any solutions for this? I'm planning to buy an aftermarket cooler maybe...

0 Likes
5 Replies
mcalin
Adept III

In Bios set the fan to Fixed Speed at 100% so it doesn't ever throttle, then check system temp (in Bios), this will establish if the cooler can actually cool at max rpm.

if you have software in Windows that also control the fans make sure it is set to fixed at 100%.

Also check Thermal paste has been correctly applied and cooler is tightly clamped to the socket.

Also change your Power Plan to Ryzen Balanced or Ryzen Energy Saving and see how that goes.

Front fans are a must these days otherwise its just a small oven.

0 Likes
poxman
Journeyman III

It doesn't.make sense. Why would the CPU just work fine with the previous Wraith cooler? It only happens when I use the new cooler. Temps jump with 20 degrees instantly.

0 Likes
poxman
Journeyman III

Even AMD's forum isn't helping what is this?

0 Likes

Strange because both the 1600x and the 3600x have the same TDP wattage of 95 watts. The 3600x comes bundled with the Wraith Spire (Non-LED) while the 1600x has no CPU Cooler bundled.

If the older Wraith is working better at keeping the 3600x cooler than the Wraith Spire it came with, I would suggest, keep using the older one or purchase a better CPU Cooler for the 3600x.

If the Wraith Spire is not keeping the CPU cooler, it could indicate that it is not installed correctly (Too much Thermal Paste applied, not making good contact with CPU surface, dirty or fan air flow being obstructed, etc) or it is not strong enough for the 3600x.

To check to make sure it is making good contact, you can open the computer case and press down on the CPU Cooler while it is getting hot and see if the temperature goes down. Or if the temperature stays cooler with the computer side panel off would indicate poor air circulation inside the computer case.

If interested here is AMD Recommended CPU Cooler for ThreadRipper which have very high TDP wattages (180 and 250 watts), both Air and Liquid from AMD Support: Thermal Solutions for Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors | AMD

0 Likes
enterprisenl
Journeyman III

Calm down, everyone is doing this in their free time, did you apply the new cooler right, Not to tight, but also not to loose

0 Likes