Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Iron_horse
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3600 temperature

Hi all, 

I was hoping someone could help answer a few technical questions for me. The CPU in question is a Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse) 65W.

Background:

Recently I experienced something strange. I often run Core Temp 1.7 in my system tray to give me a rough idea of my CPU temperature.

Recently as I went to reboot Windows to apply an update I noticed that core temp was saying it was at 99c in my system tray.   (I did have something similar happen a year and a bit ago but at the time was able to check Ryzen Master, see that it was about 50c out and when I closed and reopened Core Temp everything was back to normal).    In this case though, I wasn't able to do it as I only saw it after I'd hit restart to do the software update. 

A reboot showed the system running at its normal 35-60c and my logs for Core Temp were empty (I have logging enabled), so I suggest it had errored and worked out the temperature incorrectly, especially as the system was not unresponsive (so it was not throttling) and I was doing nothing to stress the chip.    On top of that I had overheat protection enabled for 67c and it didn't notify me or shut the system down.

None the less, I was hoping someone could answer the following as I'm struggling to find a conclusive answer.   Literature I can find says 95c is it's highest temperature but it's unclear as to whether 95c is it's throttle temperature, thermal shutdown temperature or failure temperature.

- At what temperature does the Ryzen 3600 chip throttle?

- What temperature causes the system to perform a hard shut down (power off)?

- IF it had been running at 99c for that short time (20 mins?) will the CPU be damaged or cause data corruption?

Thanks

Michael

Edit: Forgot to note that there is no overclocking, I'm using a Noctua U12A and I did some stress testing and it only got to about 74c.    There is no way it should be at 99c sitting at the desktop, update or no update. 

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,
Core temp has an issue where sometimes show really high temperature, restart the app and everything is fine.

It happens on a lot of my PC's.

The Englishman
0 Likes

I've determined that for sure.      After the reboot it cleared back to normal. But the incident got me wondering about what fail-safe measures AMD have put in place. 

0 Likes