cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

user285391
Adept I

Ryzen 1500x Built-in graphics kernel is not accessible in BIOS and Windows

I have Asrock B450 Pro Rev 2.0  motherboard. Inserted 1500x processor works properly, but I dont see VGA device in any lists. Only found "primary videp device choosing" option in bios, but there only "external video device" presents. So, may be I must activate the kernel in some way? 

I can mention also, that while using 5500 processor and trying to install drivers on Windows 7, I saw in some moment VGA devices in Device Manager, with inproper drivers. That time I thought it was unworkable with that processor, but now 9Windows 10) I see nothing, although, looks like, new processor must support this option. Thied to remove external video card, it does not help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Ryzen 5 1500X has no IGPU or Integrated Graphics on it so your motherboard's VGA Video Port won't work.

Motherboard's video output ports only works if you have a Processor with Integrated Graphics so you will need a Separate GPU Card to video to your monitor.

This  website explains about the "X" and other letters with AMD processors: https://www.techconsumerguide.com/a-simple-guide-to-amd-ryzen-naming-scheme/

AMD Ryzen Letter Meanings

Not all AMD Ryzen processors are the same. Letter suffixes help determine the processing power of chip if they belong to the same generation.

The “G” suffix indicates that the Ryzen processor has a Radeon graphics card. This is also true in the Intel Core I-series. Intel processors with G suffix have AMD Radeon RX Vega graphics card.

The “X” also indicate high performance. Ryzen processors with X suffix have the highest clock speed, power consumption and are the fastest in performance.

These Ryzen chips are desktop processors. X suffix processors have the feature Extended Frequency Range (XFR). This allows the processor to boosts its performance above ordinary limits.

The “U” indicates ultra-low power. Thin and light laptop come with Ryzen processors that have U suffix. U suffix Ryzen processors have lower clock speeds and consume less power.

They also produce a lot less heat than other processors. Thin laptops benefit from this because their form factor and thermals do not get rid of heat easily.

The “H” indicates high-performance. Ryzen processors with H suffix have higher clock speeds and power consumption which translates into higher performance.

They are normally found in bigger laptops because of the better cooling system they offer.

The “T” indicates turbo or higher clock speeds. For example if you see “XT”, that Ryzen processor has boosted clock speeds and performance compared to variants without the “T”.

There is the “No Letter Suffix”. Ryzen processors with no letter suffix are desktop processors.

You will need to purchase a GPU card otherwise replace your processor with a built in Integrated Graphics that is supported by your motherboard.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

user285391, please post a screenshot. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

I am surprised that the Ryen 5 1500X was recognized and booted up since it isn't listed under your ASRock Support Motherboard CPU LIST: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450%20Pro4%20R2.0/index.asp#CPU

Your ASRock Motherboard only supports Ryzen 2000 series or newer according to its specs: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450%20Pro4%20R2.0/index.asp#Specification

• CPU
    - Supports AMD AM4 Socket Ryzen™ 2000, 3000, 4000 G-Series, 5000 and 5000 G-Series Desktop Processors
    - Digi Power design
    - 10 Power Phase design

That is why your PC is not working correctly. You need to install a compatible processor that is listed on your Motherboard's CPU LIST with the correct BIOS version or newer installed.

Thanks, it sounds more clear, but I thought latest systems usually supports older hardware from the same series (Ryzen 5 here). I have 5500 processor, but it has not VGA kernel. SO, i still hope, that in some way it must be possible to activate  video kernel.

0 Likes

sorry, but after pressing your link i found 1500x in supported processors' list. As well as every other Ryzen processors...

0 Likes

I am to one to apologize. I scanned through the list quickly and missed that your processor is listed as being supported. my fault.

What threw me was your Motherboard's specs saying it support Ryzen 2000 or newer processors so quickly scanned the CPU List and didn't see the 1000 series processors as being compatible.

First you do need a separate GPU card to get video outputs since the 1600X doesn't have IGPU on it nor does the 5500X processor unless your have a 5500G APU. So you will have no video outputs from your Motherboard's D-SUB (VGA) port unless your 5500 is a 5500G APU with IGPU on it. Then you will have video output.

Here is your Motherboard Graphics specs:

• Graphics
    - Integrated AMD Radeon™ Vega Series Graphics in Ryzen Series APU*
    - DirectX 12, Pixel Shader 5.0
    - Shared memory default 2GB. Max Shared memory supports up to 16GB.**
    - Three graphics output options: D-Sub, HDMI and DisplayPort 1.2
    - Supports Triple Monitor
    - Supports HDMI 1.4 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 24Hz / (3840x2160) @ 30Hz
    - Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 60Hz
    - Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz
    - Supports Auto Lip Sync, Deep Color (12bpc), xvYCC and HBR (High Bit Rate Audio) with HDMI 1.4 Port (Compliant HDMI monitor is required)
    - Supports HDCP 1.4 with HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2 Ports
    - Supports 4K Ultra HD (UHD) playback with HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2 Ports

*Actual support may vary by CPU

**The Max shared memory 16GB requires 32GB system memory installed.

Is your Monitor a VGA Monitor or a Monitor with both VGA and HDMI or DP?

Are you using an Adapter cable to your Monitor (VGA to HDMI/DP) or HDMI/DP to VGA)? IF so what type?

If you are using Windows OS, go to Windows Settings - Display and see if your Monitor is showing up. Also make sure you have your Monitor's driver installed if it came with one.

If you are using Linux someone else would need to help you since I am not very familiar with Linux.

0 Likes

Great thanks for such developed investigation. But I have some misunderstanding. I have 5500 processor without X or G, didnt try video on it. Here I have 3 outputs on motherboard, use monitor with DVI via HDMI adapter, but also tried direct VGA, which is also presented. And I think first I must found this built-in device in BIOS. And what means 1600x doesnt have Igpu, I didnt realize. I have even 1500x, it we discuss here, so, I know, that any earlier processor with graphics kernel were supported by mothrboard outputs well. So, I still dont see solution.

0 Likes

When AMD processors have IGPU or Integrated Graphics for Desktop it ends with the letters "G" or "GE"

All "X" Ryzen processor and Non-"X" processors doesn't have IGPU thus you need a Separate GPU card.

BUT AMD came out with the 7000 series Processors and even though they may end in "X" it has IGPU on it. In fact, all new AMD 7000 series processors have Integrated Graphics on it.

So all Non-AMD 7000 series processors with "X" at the end doesn't have IGPU on it.

Thus both 1600 and 5500 doesn't have IGPU since neither have a "G" or "GE" at the end of the model.

Most likely you problem is with your DVI-HDMI adapter. You will need a "Active" DVI-HDMI adapter plus you need to make sure the DVI-HDMI adapter output is compatible with your HDMI monitor.

Plus you will need a 4k HD Adapter something similar.

If your GPU card doesn't have a VGA port on it then you have no choice to use the adapter unless you have an open HDMI Port on the GPU  card.

Your Motherboard VGA Port will not be working since you don't have a processor with Integrated Graphics on it.

Great  thanks, now I understand. But the question is... whar does mean this letter "X" presense: there are 1500 and 1600 processors without "X"... I found link to some forum, where people discuss built-in GPU of just 1500X BEFORE release of this device: so, they found some info about it. Ok, establish the fact of no GPU. But about motherboard ports... I have simple VGA output at MB and VGA  input on monitor, but they dont work also.

0 Likes

The Ryzen 5 1500X has no IGPU or Integrated Graphics on it so your motherboard's VGA Video Port won't work.

Motherboard's video output ports only works if you have a Processor with Integrated Graphics so you will need a Separate GPU Card to video to your monitor.

This  website explains about the "X" and other letters with AMD processors: https://www.techconsumerguide.com/a-simple-guide-to-amd-ryzen-naming-scheme/

AMD Ryzen Letter Meanings

Not all AMD Ryzen processors are the same. Letter suffixes help determine the processing power of chip if they belong to the same generation.

The “G” suffix indicates that the Ryzen processor has a Radeon graphics card. This is also true in the Intel Core I-series. Intel processors with G suffix have AMD Radeon RX Vega graphics card.

The “X” also indicate high performance. Ryzen processors with X suffix have the highest clock speed, power consumption and are the fastest in performance.

These Ryzen chips are desktop processors. X suffix processors have the feature Extended Frequency Range (XFR). This allows the processor to boosts its performance above ordinary limits.

The “U” indicates ultra-low power. Thin and light laptop come with Ryzen processors that have U suffix. U suffix Ryzen processors have lower clock speeds and consume less power.

They also produce a lot less heat than other processors. Thin laptops benefit from this because their form factor and thermals do not get rid of heat easily.

The “H” indicates high-performance. Ryzen processors with H suffix have higher clock speeds and power consumption which translates into higher performance.

They are normally found in bigger laptops because of the better cooling system they offer.

The “T” indicates turbo or higher clock speeds. For example if you see “XT”, that Ryzen processor has boosted clock speeds and performance compared to variants without the “T”.

There is the “No Letter Suffix”. Ryzen processors with no letter suffix are desktop processors.

You will need to purchase a GPU card otherwise replace your processor with a built in Integrated Graphics that is supported by your motherboard.

0 Likes