cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Deathgods46
Adept I

R7 3700X Black pins

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X cpu, been using it for a long time. I recently found out that my pc does not start, and shuts off immediately within 5 seconds. Sometimes if it starts, it stays on and then randomly shuts off whenever it feels like.

I recently had my RAM RMA'd, purchased a new Mobo, a new graphics card. But it starts and shuts off immediately. What can be the issue? 

Specs - 

Ryzen 7 3700X (5 years old)
B450M Asrock Steel legend (2 months old)
Adata XPG D60 (3200 MHz) 8*2
7800XT GPU
Adata Ssd 512Gb Sata
Peripherals -
Gamdias Hermes M5A
Razer Cobra
Hyperx Cloud 2
Msi Mag 241C

Does having black pins in my CPU cause this issue??? Because if so, then should I purchase a new CPU?

0 Likes
6 Replies

If the black pins looks burnt or charred from overheating that is a good indication the the CPU shorted out and it causing the PSU to shut down due to the processor being shorted.

If you can upload a close photo showing the black pins on the CPU would be helpful.  It is a good chance that your previous Motherboard may have shorted out and caused your CPU to be shorted as a consequence.

Unfortunately your AMD Warranty on the processor expired 2 years ago. Either way the AMD Warranty would have been voided due to the CPU being shorted unless it can be proven the CPU shorted out due to the processor itself.

Best way to see if the problem is with your 3700X processor is by installing a different processor and see if it boots up normally and stay on without issue or take your possibly damaged CPU to a computer shop to have them check it for you.

Deathgods46
Adept I

I have fixed the issue. I had a 8*2 Ram (Adata D60 Spectrix 3200Mhz) and 8Gb Ram (Different model, but Adata). When I started my PC without the 3rd ram, I had no troubles in running the PC. My pc has been running smooth, temps are in range of 60-70 for CPU. I believe it is having trouble running with the 3rd Ram.

Good troubleshooting.

I wasn't aware that you were using to different RAM Sticks on your PC even if it is from the same Manufacturer.

That is a definite No-No when it comes to Ryzen Processors. They are fairly sensitive to the type of RAM installed.

Generally it is best to purchase a RAM Kit for the amount of RAM you want to install. The RAM Kits have been tested to be 100% compatible with each other.

Also getting RAM from your motherboard's QVL LIST for RAM or your RAM Manufacturer's QVL List.

By the way, why were some of the pins on your processor black or darken?  Were you able to gently clean the blacken pins and it came out shiny like new again?

Thanks for the update.

Note: I would mark 'Solution" to your last reply since you found out the fix for your problem.

0 Likes

As for the black pins, I didn't clean them as I had no small cleaning equipment. And I didn't want to risk bricking my CPU. so I just put it back with new thermal paste, only 2 D60 Spectre ram in alternate slots, and it hasn't shut down on me for the last 2 days (Up time ~ 13 hours each).

The black pins generally mean corrosion or short, due to my previous motherboard, but it didn't effect cpu functionality as far as I can see.

Thank you for being a respondent and helpful support.

Deathgods46
Adept I

1000119555.png

 FYI,

THE cpu got the same issue again, even after only putting in 2 rams. So I guess the ultimate option is only the CPU at fault. I have attached the CPU image above. You might wanna see this!

nice photo of your CPU Pins.

Seems like all the blacken pins are on the edge. I believe some of them are redundant ground pins.

These seems to be the worst and it seems like the pins were blacken due to overheating (short):

Screenshot 2024-08-20 084207.png

I would get some Isopropyl Alcohol of over 90% purity or Denatured Alcohol and with a cotton swab I would try and clean off the black pins. If the pins are still dark after cleaning it is a good chance they were shorted out or overheated.

Maybe the black soot is preventing a good contact between the motherboard socket and CPU Pins.

You can try and open a AMD SUPPORT - WARRANTY ticket and upload your photo from this thread or attach a link to this thread and see if AMD would cover the CPU. You got nothing to lose except your time: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Truthfully I doubt if the  AMD Warranty would be active since CPU might have been damaged due to either Customer Error or 3rd party Hardware defect (Motherboard or PSU issue) or Power issue which would automatically void the AMD Warranty.

0 Likes