cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

neodenis
Journeyman III

R7 2700X + ASUS PRIME X470-PRO Freezing in Games

Hello, I recently upgraded to a high end build within a budget. I tried to play some games and have noticed stuttering or a very small freeze when some player uses an ability. Its cross-game,

it happens in many games. Games that are mostly not demanding too. I have ran stability tests and everything seems Okay, I did not get any freeze during stressing nor did I get any BSOD.

Also this is NOT FPS Drop.

I am using the totally default bios options.

To all my awareness, the necessary drivers are up to date, Including BIOS.

Everything directly from the manufacturers of each device respectively.

In terms of heat under stress, I will include the details in a photo, this is after running cinebench a couple of times. lazy.png I did some extra tests then never exceeded no matter the pressure 75C. I ran intelburn test, AIDA64 and prime95. No heat issues so far. I clean installed windows on the latest update.

Games Tested:

Heroes of the Storm

(When a player plays an ability, it happened occasionally when people would throw abilities or cast their mount, freeze would vary from short to very long few second freezes)

Guild Wars 2 (Generally it happened occasionally)

Tera (Unplayable in important content but it could be optimization)

League of Legends (Happened less often but still occasionally it would freeze)

Smite (Happened very frequently) World Of Warcraft (Frequent Freezing especially near players doing abilities)

What I have done and more information:

Full Description:

The Issue Occurs when assets attempt to load, for instance in games such as heroes of the storm once an ability has been deployed

the game will freeze anywhere from a split second up to a few seconds.

Oftentimes after they first load they will be very quick to access, they will not freeze the game.

However this is occurs randomly, it is reproducable with low reliability.

It is happening in More than one game, both online and offline.

Lighter games such as Overwatch do not suffer from this issue.

CPU-Heavy Games suffer greatly from this depending on their optimization level, engine used etc.

General Use such as browsing the internet is splendid and without any sort of an issue.

What I have Done so far:

Reinstalled 100% Clean W10 64BIT PRO OS- Up To Date (I own the License)

Reinstalled all Drivers which were provided by each Manufucturer's Website respectively (Asus.com, Nvidia.com)

Temporarily turned off antivirus/firewall.

Re-Seated Graphics Card, All Clean (brand new-like)

Re-Arranged Cable Management.

DownClocked to base frequency, disabled boosting, downclocked the R.A.M. Kit.

Made Sure the RAM Kit is seated on the right DIMMS (Gray Color as Suggested by Asus), DIMM Colors match.

Used both base and XMP2 Frequencies on the RAM Kit.

Memtest via a flash drive media, 1 pass:no errors.

Confirmed that Cables do not make loops in close proximity to each other.

Changed Mouse/Keyboard.

Checked thermals, unsure of the result, possible throttling,

unsure where or if this is the case, most likely vrm throttling once,

downclocked to base frequency however the issue still occurs (Disabled cpu Boost and precision boost overdrive).

The issue is happening both on SSD and/or HDD, information provided in pictures. Health Status: Good on Both Storage Devices.

Power Supply should be sufficient

Airflow: 34C Average

Internet Connection Seems to be in decent shape, low latency with absolute minimal packet loss.

Test: Ping Google 25 times-

Results: 0% packet loss.

Test: ping Blizzard Heroes of the Storm European Servers 12 times-

Results: 0% packet loss / 58ms average

eetyy.PNG

SSD CRYSTAL.PNGHDD CRYSTAL.PNG

This is With 2-3 passes of cinebench (no cpu boosts, base clock only):

cinebench_noboost.PNG

This is Prime95 (No cpu boosts, base clock only):

prime95_3minutes_noboost.PNG

Cinebench 2-3 Passes with performance cpu boost features (but no overclock) default settings for the rest, NO XMP:

cinebench141.PNG

Prime95 2 minutes ran with performance cpu boost features (but no overclock) default settings for the rest, NO XMP:

Prime95_2minutes.PNG

Heaven Benchmark on Extreme 1200p:

235423523.png

0 Likes
11 Replies
neodenis
Journeyman III

I wanted to add that the problem had settled down a bit until the latest update, more specifically I installed this combination and the problem re-occurred strongly.

Source of Drivers: PRIME X470-PRO Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

Driver Names: Bios Version 4207 and Chipset version 18.50.06

The most stable thus far from the last 3 driver versions (and bios) of each respectively are the ones before the latest ones

which I was able to get some more stable performance

so with that information I wanted to help into finding the fixes for the next updates.

I advise that AMD and Asus work together on a solution for the issue since often times when assets load up in games the game is freezing for a while sometimes even taking whole seconds.

0 Likes

Many of us are experiencing this. You can view my thread.

AMD are basically denying it completely, and passing the buck to motherboard manufacturers. Nvidia confirmed to me that it was a CPU problem. I have RMA'd it 4 times. They all have done it, all with different setups (yes all hardware components changed, and tried with the old hardware, too) and with old and fresh installs. 

There is something wrong, and they aren't admitting it. I am considering legal action.

Please DL your AMD drivers from the AMD Driver Download Site.  It is offering 1810.18.10.  Where the MB Vendor gets  18.50.06, I do not know.  Did you expect nVidia to say it was a GPU problem?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Nvidia proved, with the system traces I provided to them (GPUtrace and Windows Performance Analyser) that it was a CPU problem, and not GPU. I even purchased an AMD RX580 8GB and tried that with a fresh install. Despite Nvidia telling me this would solve nothing. They were correct.

I download *all* my drivers from each respective manufacturer. So, in this case, I download my chipset drivers from AMD. I download my BIOS from ASRock. I download my graphics drivers from Nvidia for my 1060 6GB, etc.

I have the latest.

0 Likes

OK, mpw - neodenis found the funny drivers.  There are several long threads on this subject here and it seems at least one came to a conclusion.  Have you looked?  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) so I can take a look.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Keep in mind I use the Asus ones since they are the ones which I was suggested to download the most, I will leave a screenshot with the most stable combination of drivers (but its not perfect still, it still has issues, its just that the lag stays for less time and so its not as noticeable as with the latest drivers. So here is the deal, Asus in my case did not have the Agesa 1.0.0.6 update released since recently, plus a couple of other updates along with that, you can see that they are delayed since it was added recently on Asus' website plus I had to download all the drivers from their website since they have to be compatible with each other.

These were the most stable drivers thus far.

pastedImage_2.jpg

Yes I think they have yet to fix this particular line up and I really want to see some progress, its already almost time for the ryzen gen 3 to be released so I would be disappointing if they did not fix all the issues till then.

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_1.png

Please don't mention the overclock. I have tried all stock settings, all XMP profiles, no XMP profile, custom timings, SMT off. I have tried everything.

Are you employed by AMD?

0 Likes

Honestly, each company will first request from you to Replace and Test with the other components first, I know it is absurd but that is what is most commonly happening, therefore they do not really assist and oftentimes try to dodge an RMA in the first place or they place tasks on their customers that require from them to go the extra mile in order to get the job done, honestly for the price we pay this should not have been happening since we deserve the RMA immediately but well oh well I was even charged the Analysis from the tech store to be honest this was even more absurd but oh well, they said nothing is wrong with your computer however my games would stutter, I told them that and they said that everything works as intended.

Generally they try to charge as much as possible from me without solving the problem and actually dodging any RMA opportunity.

Finally, I think the problem has to do with drivers/chipset/bios since the components themselves should work out just fine.

I suspect a memory-cpu issue but on the storage-memory side, essentially meaning the pre-load in games is delayed, add to that the online games being kinda delayed anyways and you get the idea...

But yeah, I would not trust the companies and their support in that regard, they could just been trying to dodge the issue which happens a lot in tech support, it is a policy and they follow it or they will not get paid and lose their jobs.

0 Likes

That is not true, they have the same versions give or take, they sometimes modify the drivers in accordance to their board, slightly though. They also rename the driver so that can be confusing as well.

Their naming policies are oftentimes seen as non-nonsensical.

diddly
Journeyman III

My 2pence: I have this spec:

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (~stock)
  • Asus Prime X470 Pro (Asus BIOS 4207)
  • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
  • Corsair LPX Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz (XMP loaded)
  • EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra Gaming
  • BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Air Cooler
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Corsair RM650x PSU
  • 2x4TB WD Black HDD
  • Fractal Design R6 Blackout.
  • Built 1st Dec '18.

I have almost no issues with this setup, no hangs while gaming. But one crash to desktop with TF2. No issues with Battlefield V or HL2 or Skyrim. No issues with Cinebench or unigine benchmarks.

CPU temp reaches 63C during benchmarks. 21C ambient.

0 Likes
amdog
Adept I

Its the mfing Simultaneous Multi Threading SMD.

i have done everything and disabling smt solved all my freezing problems. mostly happened with League of Legends. i could play other games like far cry 5 hours and do OK. But lol, nope, 2 matches and freeze in the middle of the third.

why this happens? idk.

im just leaving this here idk if you have switched platform already or found a solution.

if anyone comes here looking for a solution: disable smt, test and please log in and comment if worked.

0 Likes