Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AntonioJSL
Journeyman III

Processor groups for AMD EPYC 9004

Hello,

I have a server with following specs:

- CPU: AMD EPYC 9554P (64 physical cores, 128 logical cores)

With NUMA nodes per socket set to 4 (NPS4) in the BIOS, Windows is configuring processor groups in an odd way. In task manager "Processor affinity" (right-click on a process and select "Set affinity") two groups are shown with the following nodes:

Group 0:

CPU 0 to CPU 15 (Node 0), CPU 0 to CPU 15 (Node 2), CPU 0 to CPU 15 (Node 0), CPU 0 to CPU 15 (Node 2)

Group 1:

CPU 0 to CPU 15 (Node 1), CPU 0 to CPU 15 (Node 3), CPU 0 to CPU 15 (Node 1), CPU 0 to CPU 15 (Node 3)

The fact that the first 15 CPUs of each node are repeated seems an "esthetic" error. Actually the "repeated" CPUs are CPU 16 to CPU 31 of each node.

But the important thing is that nodes are interleaved. So if I set the affinity of a process to the first 32 threads of a group, it would be running on two different NUMA nodes which does not seem ideal. I have the same behaviour using SetProcessAffinityMask function.

The response of GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx function to retrieve RelationNumaNode is as following:

NodeNumber 0 Group 0 Mask 0000ffff0000ffff

NodeNumber 1 Group 1 Mask ffff0000ffff0000

NodeNumber 2 Group 0 Mask ffff0000ffff0000

NodeNumber 3 Group 1 Mask 0000ffff0000ffff

So according to the OS, processors assigned to each NUMA node are not contiguous.

I tested with other server with a CPU AMD EPYC 7713P (64 physical cores, 128 logical cores) and NUMA nodes per socket set to 4 (NPS4), Windows Processor Group configuration is as following:

Group 0:

CPU 0 to CPU 31 (Node 0), CPU 0 to CPU 31 (Node 2)

Group 1:

CPU 0 to CPU 31 (Node 1), CPU 0 to CPU 31 (Node 3)

In this case, processor group configuration seems optimal.

Could this be a compatibility issue of Windows with AMD EPYC 9004? Is there any CPU architecture change in EPYC 9004 processors that can explain this behaviour?

Best Regards,

Antonio

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

AntonioJSL, please try here. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Also I am having performance issues. Compared with a 7713P is working quite bad. I cannot find operating temperature range for 9554P, in case this is because thermal throttling. Do you have that info?

Thank you!

P.S.: I tried to repost this topic in Server Gurus but it seems they blocked it. I suppose because they don't allow to post same topic twice.

0 Likes
AntonioJSL
Journeyman III

According to HWiNFO Thermal Throttling (HTC) and Thermal Throttling (PROCHOT CPU) are active just at Windows start. Core CPUs temperature around 60ºCelsius.

0 Likes