cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

coolhotdogguy
Adept I

PC Stuck in a Cycle of Turning Off and On After Installing New CPU

My PC gets stuck continually turning on and then off again after a few seconds after I installed the Ryzen 7 3700 CPU. I cannot even get into the BIOS. I am able to get my PC running again fine when I reinstall the old CPU (Ryzen 1400)

Any idea what is going on? What other things can I do to try and fix this?

What I've tried so far

-flashed BIOS v6.00

-reseated the RAM

-cleared cmos by unplugging all PC cables and removing the MOBO battery for half an hour

-pulled out my hair

SPECS:

Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac

Original CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 1400

CPU that makes my computer continually reboot: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x

more info from previous reddit post

0 Likes
20 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: PC Stuck in a Cycle of Turning Off and On After Installing New CPU

I went to your Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST and BIOS Download page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x370%20killer%20sliac/index.asp#BIOS

The Ryzen 5 1400 is a Summit Ridge processor and according to ASRock's BIOS Notes on version 6.0 this is what is says as a warning in yellow:

Screenshot 2022-01-20 180433.png

Also if you upgraded from the Ryzen 1400 to the Ryzen 7 3700X the current RAM you are using may not be compatible with the new processor but compatible with the 1400 processor.

Also when you update the BIOS you need to update FIRST the motherboard's ALL IN ONE CHIPSET/GRaphics driver:

Screenshot 2022-01-20 180433.png

vialli100
Miniboss

My Asus Prime x370 pro would not run my 3700x...

I had the latest drivers and everything else up to date..

The VRM's on x370 are not sufficient to give stable power..

I got my new mobo x570 and it has been perfect..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Samsung 960 EVO 500gb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Seasonic X850 PSU.
tenzo23
Elite

Here is the Display Recovery SOP

1/61/62/62/63/63/64/64/65/65/66/66/6

/sig Fun guy.
aroryborealis
Adept II

Theoretically it should work but it wouldn't surprise me if you need a 450 or higher board.  

coolhotdogguy
Adept I

I think elstaci may be right about the RAM being incompatible. The RAM I had install does not appear under the list of compatible ram from amd.

I purchased new RAM that did appear on the list so I will try it when it arrives tomorrow.

For installing the ALL IN ONE CHIPSET, I messed up the order and have already flashed to BIOS v 6.00. Can I flash to earlier BIOS versions safely in order to correctly install the graphic drivers? 

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I'm running an X370 MOBO.

It will not support any AMD CPU beyond a GEN 2 Ryzen 7 series.

If that new CPU is a GEN 3 Ryzen 7 or higher that could be the problem.

If that is the case then the R7 3700 will not work on your MOBO. 

coolhotdogguy
Adept I

RE: ThunderBeaver 

"If that new CPU is a GEN 3 Ryzen 7 or higher that could be the problem.

If that is the case then the R7 3700 will not work on your MOBO. "

This must be the issue then. This is the CPU I purchased. It says it is a 3rd Gen

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Hold onto that CPU for a future upgrade.

You didn't waste money you just made an early investment on your next core system component upgrade. 

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Even if the Motherboard's VRM is not powerful enough for the 3700x it should, at least in my opinion, still boot up into Windows.

Plus the 3700x is listed on the Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST so I know the manufacturer has tested that processor on the motherboard before adding it to the CPU Support list.

But it is possible that it depends on which Model 300 series motherboard you have. Since some Users have had issues with the 3000 series CPUs on the 300 series motherboards.

Plus I have read that the 300 series VRM may not be powerful enough to properly run a 3000 series CPU but it still should boot up and not go through a Boot Cycle.