cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

flobbzz
Journeyman III

One core seems to be doing most of the work on 3950X

I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is an issue with my 3950X.

Recently I've been using Ryzen master to keep an eye on my CPU and I've noticed than C16 looks to be doing a lot more more than the others.

I'm only running at 4.00 GHz as I'm testing but couldn't help notice the difference between cores.

Core 16 is usually at 39500 MHz while the rest are at a significantly lower level.

Is there a problem with my CPU or did I just lose the silicone lottery? 

1 Solution

That's normal under idle conditions for it to hit pretty much any core, it's the OS scheduler doing it. Due to the scheduler improvements and Ryzen's ability to switch power states in 1ms, the cores clock up and down on demand, and so more power can be used to boost the cores in use without violating the power limits.

Under a single threaded program load it's supposed to schedule the load, starting with Windows 10 1809 I believe, on one of the cores the CPU reports as the "preferred" cores as they are more capable, which you can test by running something which is explicitly single core, such as Prime 95 one thread or Cinebench single core.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

That's normal under idle conditions for it to hit pretty much any core, it's the OS scheduler doing it. Due to the scheduler improvements and Ryzen's ability to switch power states in 1ms, the cores clock up and down on demand, and so more power can be used to boost the cores in use without violating the power limits.

Under a single threaded program load it's supposed to schedule the load, starting with Windows 10 1809 I believe, on one of the cores the CPU reports as the "preferred" cores as they are more capable, which you can test by running something which is explicitly single core, such as Prime 95 one thread or Cinebench single core.

This is absolutely correct.

In laymen's terms in case any of that is over the OP's head. I know it is mine. LOL

Your peak boost speed is often only attainable on one or two cores. Ryzen 3xxx cpus will actually swap the peak load alternating between the 2 best cores. It alternates between them so one core does not get too hot.  It is completely normal that these cores will be used most often. 

flobbzz
Journeyman III

Thank you black_zion‌ for that explanation and information. It makes perfect sense now and I'm not worried that there was an issue with my CPU.

pokester‌ you were spot on, it was a bit over my head lol. I appreciated your ELI5.

I'm able to look into it and get some more info for myself now.

Much appreciated