Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

xkain91x
Adept I

Nvidia 2080 Super Runs at 100% Fan Speed With Ryzen 3600X

Hello everybody, 

I updated my Ryzen 5 2400g to a Ryzen 3600x and it has been a complete pain. First and the most annoying problem I have is that my 2080 SUPER gets at 100% on start up, the firsrt 4-5 seconds, and it is due to the Ryzen 3600x, because it does not happen with my 2400g. Second problem is that, windows says that I have 31.9 GB RAM installed, instead of 32, and once again, only happen with the ryzen 3600x... Last problem, it overheats as a Charizard... lol welcome FX series again.... I solved that problem putting energy save mode on windows, but now it runs at 2,2 ghz, but still prefer run it at 2.2 GHZ cause I had reached 93º in gaming and I have a noctua nh-d15 ... Hey AMD, really, wth is happening=??? why do you launch this product with all those problems? 

9 Replies

You did do a bios update or reset and reinstall your windows system,...

There are lot's of people that think they can just shove new parts in and it works perfect without doing the above.

Temperature seems crazy,... Are you sure your cooling works properly ? All fans spin, the cooler is mounted good ?

Also new MB features are silent and pwm controlled fans,... Make sure the CPU fan spins with full power in your bios or just hook it up to your PSU. 

0 Likes

Yes bro I did all of that. I even used DDU to uninstall and reinstall drivers.. I solved the tempeture problem changing the energy options. But I still have the annoying issue of my GPU at 100% on start up. Also the 31.9 RAM. And yes bro everything with fans is working well. I attached a picture of my settup scrolling down..

0 Likes

Well with your rig it's not possible that you have cooling problems if it all works. 

RU sure that your fans are not just on a silent mode or are getting throttled by your bios or some software for more "silent use". Like the fan curve just let's your CPU fan throttle untill a certain temp. and than gradually goes up. This is all nice for low performance machines but for a gaming rig it's better to let it all run full speed.

0 Likes

The GPU Fans running at 100% for a few seconds after start is normal, happens on 1st gen 1700 aswell as my 3900x both on my AMD(RX580) and nVidia card(GTX1060).

Windows reporting 31.9gb is also normal, seen the same thing happen on my Gigabyte x370 with an Overclocked 1700 and my new MSI x570 with a 3900x. not really sure whats causing it but it pretty much only happens in windows as i've briefly tried testing manjaro and it was reporting corectly there.

Also, what are you using to monitor temps? are you using the same board you used for the 2400g and if so did you update the bios and reset to defaults after? Did you install the latest chipset drivers and tried using Ryzen Balanced power plan?

Cause 93c is way too high for that kind of cooler and thats not normal under gaming loads. Double check if the cooler has proper contact with the IHS and enough thermal compound applied evenly on it, may have to check if you have enough case airflow aswell since the 3600x is allot hotter than the 2400g you used to have. Check aswell if you have proper airflow on your inside your cause If there's not enough airflow inside, your 2080 Super will pretty much just feed hot air (hot air that just cycles inside the case because it wasnt vented out of the case fast enough) towards your NH-D15 cooler, giving you needlessly high CPU temps when gaming.

May also need to check that everything is working fine with your windows install aswell since recently, new windows update has been causing allot of problems and breaking allot of stuff with new updates for 1903, one of them causing high CPU usage in the background (ranges from 7% to 90% usage) which will cause you to have high CPU temps (happened on one of the workstations i was working on that i just recently updated), Be aware also that some software that came from the manufacturer like DragonCenter and its like have also been known to cause high temps at idle (with some even causing the CPU to get stuck on its base clock) and sometimes stays that way even after uninstalling them. 

0 Likes

Hello James, thanks for answering, I'm currently using an ASUS ROG B450f, and yes, I updated the chipset drivers from AMD page, I did BIOS updated to the latest b450f drivers, and I havent tried with the ryzen balance plan (I got really scared when my processor reached 93c).  

This is my settup guess it shouldn't have cooling problems. Guys thank you all who took the time for answering, I gonna check if I get bertter temperatures with the Ryzen balanced plan.

photo_2019-09-13_01-09-30.jpg

0 Likes

Before using RyzenBalanced Power plan, modify it first and change the minimum processor state to 85% and Maximum at 100% (default minimum is 99% which is fast but can run a little hot for some setups at idle), this is what i personaly use on my 3900x and should give you decent temps at idle while still allowing your CPU to boost fast enough so as not to lower performance much. You could lower the minimum even more but i noticed it takes a bit of time for it go to its full boost speeds if you do, the sweet spot I and others found for keeping low temps for Ryzen 3000 is 85% minimum with 100%max and Power saver for when your not really doing anything that requires perfromance like watching movies or just being at idle while downloading overnight.

As for you case fan setup, if that rear fan is a 120mm try boosting its fan speed a bit more or remove the top dust filter (only when in use) to give it another place to exhaust some more air out. Cause ideally you should have 2 exhaust for 3 intake or one fast 140mm exhaust like a noctua fan for three 120mm intake.

0 Likes

I will try adding two more fans for the top

0 Likes
nickjackalson
Adept III

Hi

As someone upgraded from 2200G to 3600, I can share some experience

I had a small 90mm cooler on 2200G, and using a 1070Ti, I had 35C idle, 55-60C on load CPU temps

After first boot on 3600, I see 55C idle and up to 80C load temps on my CPU, and the cooler was not even so hot

Then I updated my cooler to a cheap 120mm dual fan 6 heatpipe cooler and now I get 45C idle, 65C load

And the cooler not even gets any warmer than shut down PC

All is due to 7nm process density and small chiplets. It uses very little power but due to density it gets hot and hard to cool down due to small contact are, and even though it looks crazy but up to 85-90C is ok AFAIK from the looks of this CPU

First off all, check if any tool you've allready installed causing CPU load and uninstall them. Nvidia driver was using 10% of CPU when first I install 3600, updating the driver solved that issue for example

Seconly, update your chipset drivers and bios latest. If 1003 ABB causes those high load (its possible), try downgrading to 1003 A, you will only get 1% lower performance overall

Disable PBO, if it doesnt solve issue, try disabling core boost to troubleshoot if your mobo is applying unnecessary amount of Voltage/current when boosting all core 4.2GHz

Last resort, reinstall your cooler, but please use little drops directly onto CPU and IO chiplet areas, instead of center of CPU cover

Hope these solve your problems  

0 Likes

yep my Ryzen was reaching temperatures of 60c+ doing nothing, but guess it is now solved. I chase the Ryzen balanced plan and I limited the processor performance to a 90%. now it is 39º when im not working. I will be trying in game later

0 Likes