cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

22raor
Adept I

New Threadripper 1950x with idle temp 70 degrees C or above

I just finished building my custom PC, but in Ryzen Master, it shows my CPU to be at around 70 degrees Celsius or above. I am not sure whether I have a faulty CPU. Here are my specs:

ASRock X399 Taichi motherboard

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x

32gb G.skill ripjaws RAM

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 Edition Liquid Cooler

Nvidia RTX 2080

Samsung 970 Evo SSD

Cooler Master MasterWatt V750 power supply

Originally, I assumed the problem was with the cooler not running but I feel a vibration coming from the liquid cooler tubes so I am pretty sure the pump is working. Now, I'm not sure why it is overheating.

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

22raor, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) running the same SW (please tell us what). I am currently using a 1950X with a Enermax Liqtech TR4 240 AIO and do not see those temperatures. I ran Prime95 yesterday and the max was 56C. What is your ambient temperature? You should be able to feel a temperature differential in the tubes. If you can see the RPMs of the pump and fans, please post them. On my 2990WX based system I plug the pump and all fans into 12 Volts directly. Right now on this system (1950X) pump is running 2866 RPM and fans are 1900. Idle tCTL (RM) is 23C, ambient is probably 18-20C. Maximum is 68C for all Thradrippers. Are you OCing? We should not suspect he processor at this time. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Untitled.png

This is the reading from Ryzen Master. The only window I have open is this forum in Microsoft Edge. The temperature in the house is about 22 degrees Celsius. I am not overclocking. I have the pump connected to the header on the motherboard, not directly to the power supply. There doesn't appear to be any noticeable temperature differential in the tubes.

In HWMonitor I see values for CPUFANIN which I assume is the fans of the water cooler. They are running at about 2100 RPM.

Should I try connecting the cooler directly to the PSU instead?

0 Likes

1st threadripper reports T ctrl which is offset from the die temperature.

Tctrl = T die + 27 C.

So your 67C is really 40C for a delta T of 18C which is pretty OK.

2nd you are plugging in the pump & fans into the mobo headers, while the post above connects them directly to the power supply. As you are near idle, maybe your fan curve is not that aggressive, so since the Max tctrl is 95C it is simply dialing back the water pump & radiator fans. To determine this please run a pure CPU load like prime 95, and see if your temperature reaches 95C. If it does not you are fine.

0 Likes