cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Valis
Journeyman III

New 7800xd build is seeing critical hardware failures.

So I built a new PC back in late August. Everything worked flawlessly at first, about a month of zero problems. Then I started to get total system failures/freezes. The pc was running, but nothing worked anymore. So I started hunting down the issue, I started with the easy fix, a complete format and reinstall of windows 10 and all drives/etc. And made sure the bios and everything was the latest version. But it continued. In fact it got more and more frequent, first it happen once a month, then once a week, then once a day, now it's several times a day. Clearly hardware is failing. Next I stress tested the ram with ramtest. 36 hours, zero errors. So the ram is not the cause. Next I tested the hard drives, flawless test results, no issues, and even made sure it wasn't them going to sleep.

Next thing was to test the GPU, but I ended up not needing to as the GPU proved it was not at fault when instead of a system hardlock, I was in the middle of the game and the PC hardware borderline died, thing was I could still move around in the game, so frames were being generated, but new assets no longer loaded, so I knew it was either a bad motherboard or a bad CPU. I looked up some stuff and found AMD cpus ESPECIALLY the 7800x3d was having massive power spike issues in the recent past and they were melting the cpu and motherboards. (Already regretting going with AMD instead of tried and true Intel it seems.) I did check my motherboard to find MSI wasn't causing those issues, it was ASUS motherboard mostly, and I already had the updated MSI bios to prevent that from happening.

So basically I'm 98% sure the culprit is the 7800x3d, I came to that conclusion after carefully monitoring the CPU. And thanks to my high end MSI AIO which monitors everything externally even if the system crashes, I found when the system froze that the power spiking to the CPU was INSANE, and the temperature of the CPU was going from 60c to almost 100c in a matter of 2-3 seconds. Which explained why my AIO would ramp up like a jet engine when the system crashed.

I went a step further and told my AIO to take everything to max all the time and waited for the next CPU suicide attempt. And this time... apparently my AIO was able to keep the system from crashing by pulling away enough heat in time to keep the spike in the low 90c. The system still freezes for a second or two, but manages to recover before everything dies.

So... Basically I'm here to ask if anyone else has this MASSIVE problem with the 7800x3d. And especially with this very popular MSI motherboard. And if there is a way to fix it without me needing to send in my CPU for a working replacement/refund. I'd like to not have to swap my whole new system back to Intel unless I have to. But I'm worried AMDs quality control is the issue here. But hopefully I just got a lemon. Or some other easier fix is possible.

Asus RTX4090
MSI Tomahawk wifi X670E motherboard
7800x3d
32gb Corsair Dominator EXPO ram
2x 2TB 990pro nvme drives

PS: No overclocks other than the default EXPO 1 settings for the ram.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Valis
Journeyman III

Oh and forgot to add nothing is overclocked in the system, except the ram which is set to EXPO 1 which it is advertised for.

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

I only own 2 7800x3d chips. So cant talk much. Never seen/saw any of this. Bummer mate. 

Asus boards on both,.... ya scary huh. (been runing one since day of launch and a second a week after,. . zero issues) Also, and ive ran xpo, since day one on both,. Overclock, means **bleep** on these chips. And been running 2x24gig sticks on both at 6400 for months now.  Zero issues. None. 

0 Likes
Morphos65
Adept I

You wrote that temps was rising fast - what cooler do you use ?. 7800X3D needs a very big cooler til control temps. Like a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4.

5800X3D - RX 7800 XT - 32 GB RAM 3600 Mhz
0 Likes

Umm, I'm at work right now so can't give the exact model, but it's a very high end MSI 360 closed loop waterblock. Has it's own LCD display on it for showing temps and loop fluid temps, which was the only way I was able to see how insane the temps were spiking since they crashed the entire system.

0 Likes

Well, if it is mounted correctly and there is enough cooling paste then it should be plenty to cool your cpu. So the mystery continues.

5800X3D - RX 7800 XT - 32 GB RAM 3600 Mhz
0 Likes