cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Lever69
Journeyman III

Need Help: AMD Athlon X4 760K only 2 cores & 4 threads?

Okay so I have been doing surveys to buy an used athlon x4 760k . After a couple of weeks, my parcel arrived and luckily it's working perfectly fine with no bents. BUT with hi-fi bios. In task manager it's only 1 core and 2 threads. I tried to use my other mobo which is an asus one. And now it says 2 cores and 4 threads in task manager. I have been trying to know what's exactly happening. PLEASE DO ENLIGHTEN ME! AND FORGET ABOUT MY GRAMMAR AS I'M ONLY 14 AND ENGLISH IS MY 2ND LANGUANGE. THANK YOU

0 Likes
4 Replies

In Windows, AMD multi-core processors are shown differently than what you expect.

Windows is showing 2 cores & 4 Threads because AMD actually has 2 cores connected together in the same module using a common feature. So windows see both cores as "One" core and 2 threads in each 2 core modules.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x with 8 cores and 16 threads yet in Windows it shows I have a 4 core 8 thread processor.

So if Windows is showing 2 core & 4 threads that is normal for a AMD Multi-core processor.

NOTE: the newest AMD Multi-core Processors are more like Intel that doesn't have 2 cores in one module but single core in one module. So a 8 core AMD Processor would show 8 cores in Windows.

0 Likes

SO A QUAD CORE FROM AMD IS DIFFERENT? IS MY 2 CORES, 4 THREADS AS STRONG AS A 4 CORE? I MEAN I CAN STILL GET A 4-CORE PERFORMANCE?

0 Likes
wim-bart
Elite

It also might be a Mothernoard issue in combination with the BIOS. In the past some motherboards just reported wrong config back tomthe opearing system. It also might be the case that you must do a BIOS reset or find an option to enanle Multi processing. Some BIOS options what might be interesting could be (depending on make and version):

• Enable MP,
  • Enable Multi Core
  • Core Disable
0 Likes

Okay! I will try! Thank you!!

0 Likes