cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Siryn
Journeyman III

My Ryzen 5 5600X and it's high temperature issues.

Hi everyone,

So I've recently built a new PC with the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X as my CPU but I've been struggling to find reasonable temps for the CPU. I downloaded Ryzen Master to assess the temperatures and found that normally, my CPU idle's at the 30°C (sometimes it spikes to idling at 50°) and when I ran Cinebench R23, it went up to 95° extremely quickly, and I felt like I had to stop the test before I damage my CPU. 

I recently bought this, only about two weeks ago. 

I have tried reapplying thermal paste by taking off the cooler, cleaning both the cooler and the CPU's IHS using 99% isopropyl alcohol like recommended. I added a "grain of rice" of thermal paste, and attached the cooler evenly by screwing it in using equal intervals of rotation. 

I was playing Valorant today morning and I peaked at Ryzen Master to see how it's doing and saw my CPU at temperatures like 88° which I believe is definitely a bad thing.

I feel like I've tried everything, and reapplying thermal paste seems to not be working. What do I do?  

PC SPECS:

CPU - R5 5600X

Motherboard - MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth Cooler (STOCK COOLER)

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Black ATX Mid Tower

(if I need to any other specs, please let me know and I will add it right away)

10 Replies
Schmelge
Adept I

Re: My Ryzen 5 5600X and it's high temperature issues.

xlox
Miniboss

you can always try to change fan curve maybe , or buy a 100-150 euro AIO watercooling

i have a 5950x it can up to 70-80° with a 2 fan AIO wc

with a air cooler 90-95 seems possible ... whatever if the cpu is over specification cpu will shutdown computer .. so if this happens then yes it would be a problem but idle at 30 with some pick at 50 mean it's ok i think ...  do you read temps of cpu package or global cpu  .. in fact cpu package is typically higher and it's normal ( it's like tjunction for gpu i think, if someone can confirm that)

0 Likes
JoltCola
Adept III

If it hits 90C at load without PBO, that would indicate very poor cooling and/or case airflow to me. With PBO set to motherboard it will definitely hit your temp cap right away, that's the point of PBO, to uncap power limits.

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

I don't think a 'grain of rice' paste is enough.

Plenty of Vids./guides on web for application/how to..

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
0 Likes
seabass3312
Adept I

My Ryzen 5 5600X and it's high temperature issues Fixed

Spoiler
Hello, If you want perfect settings try this as I too have the Ryzen 5 5600x and its running like a beast

What I would recommend as  AMD and Bios tester are these steps, So in Bios 

Most important, Curve Optimizer @ Negative 30 All Core 

step1) Voltage Offset: +0.03125v

step 2) CPU LLC 2 and VDDSOC LLC 2

Step 3) CPU Current Capacity @ 110%

Step 4) Dram Current Capability @110%

Step 5) Dram Phase @ Extreme 

Step 6) Performance Bias @ Auto

Step 7) A Must, PBO Disabled and PBO Limits Disabled 

Step 8 Gear Down Mode: Disabled, Power Down Mode: Disabled 

Step 9) Last step and a must CPPC Enabled and CPPC Preferred Cores Disabled 

Step 10) CPU Max Boost Override @ 0 (Zero) a must as well and Thermal Throttle Temp @ 90

Do all of these and any other setting you like with these active and test results

0 Likes
kurdtnz
Adept III

The idle temps sound fine to me but the temps under load do seem pretty high, the highest my 5600X has hit is in the 70's. Im not a fan of the wraith coolers, I would definitely upgrade to a decent after market cooler, I use a be quiet dark rock slim and it does a really good job.

0 Likes
seabass3312
Adept I

Hey, Ya 70s is not bad depending what your doing, But with my settings given it maxed out at 60s most time (worth a check) 

I just upgraded too a 360mm AIO just couple days ago and temps went to 50s

but again with my settings and the Stock cooler it was 60s for me 

0 Likes
Hobza
Journeyman III

I have solved all temperature issues by undervolting the CPU... the additional benefit is that it can boost longer and is not limited by heat, due to higher efficienty Just the undervolting increased my cinebench score by approx +5%

Search youtube for a step-by-step guide "Ryzen 5000 Undervolting with PBO2 – Absolutely Worth Doing"

0 Likes
JoergBaermann
Journeyman III

If you just want lower max temp you can lower PBO's thermal limit.
If you adjust PPT, TDC and EDC manually you can also get it to drop some degree.
You can also use ECO Mode instead but I think adjusting PPT, TDC and EDC can reduce max temp as much with less performance reduction.
Not sure what the standard values are for a 5600x, on a 5800x going with PPT 120, TDC 75 and EDC 110, max temp drops 10-15C without a huge hit on performance, in games it not even noticeable.

Curve Optimization needs to be done pr. core, going with a global value for all can give unwanted results like scheduling issues and memory errors.
Goes with small adjustments and testing every time to see if it runs stable, so pretty time consuming to find the perfect settings.

0 Likes