cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RS1600
Journeyman III

Laptop Ryzen 6800H drops to 400 Mhz (not overheating!), Optimus/iGPU/dGPU/BIOS Issue

Hi Guys, here's the problem:

Machine: HP Omen 16 Gaming laptop (2022), Ryzen 6800H + GTX 3070 Ti, Win 11, latest drivers, BIOS, etc.

Preconditions:

External monitor connected through USB-C/Display Port. The USB-C is connected to/through the iGPU (Radeon 680M), so it is always active. 

It happens 1-2 minutes after a gaming session, after the game is closed or minimized. For one game I assume it also happens during, but the laptop directly shuts down (400 Mhz is unbearable, I guess :)). 

It never happens when playing on laptop display or on monitor through HDMI (HDMI connects directly to the 3070 Ti). Only through the USB-C/Display (regardless of adapter or direct USB-C to the monitor).

Happens regardless of system/CPU/GPU termals. Can happen at pretty low/lowering temps. Also, regardless of Optimus on or laptop set to dGPU only (which I assume in this scenario is not possible, since it video output needs to go through iGPU/USB-C).

Problem:

Processor suddenly drops to 400 Mhz (all cores) and stay there. System becomes extremely laggy for obvious reasons. Fans spin out to max (awfully loud), assuming that processor is at 100% load (which it is, but at only 400Mhz). System temp. goes to almost ambient. Simple restart doesn't always fix it. Needs shut down and new start. 1 time fixed by removing power cable to battery, few times fixed by itself under windows (with DP unplugged).

I tried:

All possible BIOS settings (not many), playing with Win power plans, including processor min/max state, all possible Omen Hub settings (not many), different drivers, etc. 

I don't believe it is a hardware problem. I am narrowing down to some kind of driver or BIOS issue, related to switching between iGPU/dGPU. Something triggers the processor to enter this idle/safety/whatever state that is and is probably GPU related. 

Please, help, guys, do you have any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Reply
hsa1
Journeyman III

Hi, were you able to fix this, i have the same laptop and the same issue, i have requested for motherboard replacement.

0 Likes